Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Upside Down Apple Skillet Cake


Not too long ago I had a birthday. I threw a tiny shindig and made this cake. I had clipped the recipe from the newspaper about a year ago, but at the time I didn't have a skillet. Also, because my husband and my son both do not care for apples, I needed an occasion.

This year, I bought the skillet and made the occasion. It turned out very well and was super moist. Here's the recipe:

Topping:
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 medium apples, such as Jonathans or Golden Delicious (I used goldens), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
2 large eggs

For topping: Place butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Heat skillet at low heat to melt butter. Remove from heat, and stir in brown sugar with a fork. Spread out evenly. Arrange apple slices on the bottom of the skillet.

For cake: place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on a low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed (continue to scrape sides of bowl). The batter should look creamy and smooth. Pour batter on top of apples in the skillet, smoothing it out.

Bake in 350 degree oven until cake rises high in skillet and springs back to the touch - roughly 40-50 minutes. You'll have to keep an eye on it at the end. Remove skillet from over and run a knife around the edge. Carefully invert cake onto serving plate. Best served warm. (But it's darn good room temperature too!) I think this would also make a good breakfast cake for Christmas morning - if that's your thing. Enjoy!

1 comment:

äiti said...

Looks yummy...upside down cakes are definitely on my radar. I'll let you know if I make one anytime soon.

xo,

Shirley