Thursday, December 13, 2007

Baked Tomato Rice with Sausage

I'm not much of a cook.  Well - I'm fine, really.  I can follow a recipe and have it turn out alright.  What I mean to say is that I don't really enjoy it.
Maybe it's because I have the smallest kitchen in New England or maybe it's because my child would prefer a hot dog anyway - but I just don't think of myself as a culinary wizard.  And I get bored with the things I make over and over again.  
So, when I was in the craft store and I found a thin little cookbook called Let's Cook One Pot by Sarah Green, I took a look.  "One pot" sounded promising and it was one buck.  One pot, one buck - I'm sold.
Not all the recipes are gonna get made.  I'm not going near Squid Stew.  (I'm not making that up.)  But I did try Baked Tomato Rice with Sausage and it turned out really well.  So I thought I'd share.

Baked Tomato Rice with Sausages

2 Tbsp veg. oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 & 1/2 cups long grain white rice
4 cups light chicken stock
8 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp shredded fresh basil (I used dried)
6 oz. mature Cheddar cheese (about 6 - 1" cubes), grated
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (I used dried)
4-5 herby pork sausages, cooked and cut
2-3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used packaged)

1. Heat oil in large flame-proof casserole over medium heat.  Add onion and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in garlic and thyme.  Cook another minute.
Preheat oven to 350.

2. Add rice (uncooked.  Just pour that stuff right in.) and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes or until rice is well coated and translucent.  Stir in stock, tomatoes, and bay leaf.  Boil for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in basil, cheddar cheese, chives and sausages and bake, covered, for about 25 minutes.

4. Take it out, sprinkle with the parm and put it back in the over for 5 more minutes, or until it starts to take on a nice golden brown.  (I broiled it a tad.)

MMMMMMMMM!  My husband went back for seconds and that's always a good sign.  Plus it made a ton.  You can have 4 big helpings, easy.  Also, should you want to go vegetarian, change the chicken stock to veg stock and replace the sausages with butter beans, kidney beans or sweet corn.  Enjoy!



1 comment:

äiti said...

I'm definitely a fan of one pot cooking. Sounds yummy!