Saturday, December 22, 2007

Behold the Powers of - Ice Cream Pie

Years ago, my husband, son and I traveled to Ohio to visit family.  While in Perrysburg, we stayed with my dad and stepmother, Pam.  Pam's kinda like a small town Martha Stewart, only no jail time.  
For dessert one night, Pam made ice cream pie.  And my husband turned into Homer Simpson.  "Ice cream pie......rrrrrghh." (That's supposed to be drool.)  Oh, how did he talk about - dream about - ice cream pie.
So, last summer, we had a BBQ and I decided to make Pam's ice cream pie.  What I discovered is that MOST men turned into Homer Simpson.  They went back for seconds.  They ranted. They raved.  (I'm being a little dramatic, but it really was a big hit. PARTICULARLY for the men.)  And it was recently requested for Christmas dinner.  So, I just finished making two ice cream pies.

And because it is the season of giving, I will share the recipe.  Use it with care:

ICE CREAM PIE:

You start with a pre-made Oreo crust.  
Spread a layer of a softened, vanilla based praline ice cream.  
Then add a layer of caramel and a layer of crushed Heath bars.*  (The hardest part of this recipe is finding the Heath bars.  Not all stores carry them.)
Spread another layer of ice cream.
Sprinkle another layer of Heath bars.
Top with a drizzling of chocolate Magic shell.
Freeze until firm.  (I usually make mine a day or two ahead of time.)

*Note: about 6 Heath bars will do it for one pie.
Mmmmmmmm good.  Enjoy and know that this will be requested again and again.

1 comment:

äiti said...

Love this pic! Yummy....