Monday, January 14, 2008

Bottle Cap Magnets

I don't subscribe to Martha Stewart Living, but every so often I thumb through one at the market and if it looks interesting, I buy it. The December 2007 issue had this cute idea, Bottle Cap Magnets.
It's very simple. You collect some bottle caps (twist off is better-if you can get them) and print up some 1" square pics from the computer - or cut out cool images where you can find them. Then cut them into circles - I had a template. Now Martha recommends using clear resin, but I couldn't find any. The hardware store guy recommended Epoxy glue, but I found that difficult to work with and I could feel the cancer creeping into my lungs. So here's my solution, fill the bottom with a thin layer of Elmer's glue. Lay picture on top. Let dry overnight. Then I put a layer of gloss Modge-Podge on top to seal it. It also turned the black & white images a little purple, but I think they look aged and cool - so I like it. Then I glued magnets on the back with some glue called Fabritac - which is a good, strong craft glue that I use all the time.

If I do it again - I'll probably try to cut the photos just a wee bit bigger. But all in all I like them a lot.

6 comments:

äiti said...

These look awesome---I want to try making some!

Jay said...

do you sleep? eat? shower? where do you find the time for this stuff (only mostly completly jealous)

Julie_c said...

This wasn't one of the more time consuming projects. But I really think, for me, it's important that I do just random craft stuff from time to time. It makes my life fun.

äiti said...

Jay, the time will come again when you will be able to do crafty stuff here and there.

Though it would be nice for you to have some "you" time, some moments of creativity and fun, it is frickin' hard to do when you've got two kids under the age of three.

Phantom Admin said...

well. that explains why the shower curtain was blowing in on me. The magnets were all expropriated for art.

Julie_c said...

Phantom Admin is my husband, in case anyone is wondering.