Saturday, January 5, 2008

Brownie Snack Cake

Today we had Magoo's second 5th Birthday Party. Since I made vanilla for the first one, I thought I'd make a chocolate cake this time. I pulled out a recipe I had ripped out of the pages of Cooking Light yeeeeeears ago. It's a handy little cake. Normally, it's one layer and you can even eat it with your fingers. But I wanted things to be a little more grand, so I doubled the recipe and made it two layers. What you read below is for a single layer Brownie Snack Cake.

BROWNIE SNACK CAKE:
Ingedients
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup veg. oil
1/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
ICING:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon cocoa

- Preheat over to 350
-combine sugar thru egg whites and beat at a medium speed until blended.
-combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder
-add flour mix to wet mix. Beat well.
-coat 9" round baking pan with cooking spray. Fill pan.
-bake 25-30 minutes
-while cake is cooling, you can mix icing. Mix powdered sugar and milk together. Beat well. Pour almost all of it over the cake.
-add cocoa to remaining icing to make it brown. Fill a sandwich baggie and snip a small hole in the corner to make a squeeze bag.
-create a spiral over white icing.
-take a toothpick, and starting in the center, lightly drag toothpick thru to the edge to make a "spider web" effect. Do it all around the cake.
-leave to set. (If it's cold, I put mine out on the cold deck for a few minutes.)

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

äiti said...

Mmmm. This looks good. I LOVE the spider web effect of the icing! Thanks for describing how to do that.