Friday, January 25, 2008

Cactus Pot: A creative process

I have a very ugly corner in my kitchen.  Someone thought it would be good to install a corner sink to save space.  As a result I have a triangle of useless space behind it that is dark and usually collects old soup cans that need to go to recycling.  Then I saw this pot.  Why not put some dark and damp loving plants back there!
So I got an old peanut butter container - LARGE.  And I paper mache'd it.  The example has a knitted rim, but I don't knit, so I thought I'd make Shrinky Dink tiles.  My whole design after that point was to display my tiles.  So I painted the pot black and decoupaged green and blue piece of paper in a mosaic sort of way.  Well, it looked alright, but when I put on the tiles it was a little busy.  Okay.  So I painted the base white.  Nah.  Still not good.  My pal, Angela, suggested I draw some black details on the white.  Brilliant!  But nah, that didn't look so great either.  So I finally came to this blue sheet of paper.  I let the color do the work.  This is, by far, the best of all the versions, but it would have been better if it was smooth beneath the blue.  So it's a little bumpy, but it will do.  I still like my tiles and I found a nice cactus to go in it.  That said, I don't think the cactus will do well behind my sink so that will have to be another project.

2 comments:

äiti said...

Love the tiles and the cactus in particular.

I took a look at the pot that inspired you and...is it just me that thinks that the knitted rim would get fairly gross over time? And not a long time, at that...

Julie_c said...

Yeah - I don't know about the knit. But whatever works for you, I guess!