Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies

I have a cookie cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies).  I usually pull it out at during the holidays and make my selections then.  But I ALWAYS make Buckeyes and I usually make Gingerbread, so that really just leaves me with making one other cookie.  But there are LOTS of great cookies in it and Magoo loves cookies so I've decided that 2008 will be the Year of the Cookie.  
Each month I will make a cookie I've never made before.  This month it's Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. 

Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but I did use it)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons poppy seed
sanding sugar (which I could not find so I just used the regular stuff.)

1. Beat butter w/ an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar.  Beat until combined.  Beat in egg, milk, lemon peel, vanilla and lemon extract until combined.  Beat in flour until it becomes to stiff then mix the rest in.  Stir in poppy seed.
2. Divide dough in half.  Shape each portion into an 8" long tube.  Wrap in wax paper and freeze for 3 hours or until the dough is firm and easy to handle.
3.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut logs into 1/4" slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet, 1" apart.  Sprinkle sugar on cookies.  Bake 7-11 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.

This recipe makes approximately 60 cookies, but they are dainty.  Good with tea or as a gift.  You're going to want to eat 2-3 cookies at a sitting, so feel free to give some away - but keep plenty for yourself.  Mmmmmm, they're good.

1 comment:

äiti said...

Great idea---the year of the cookie!

Sounds yummy.