Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Frog and Toad

Another round of volunteering at Magoo's school has begun and since my last puppet show, The Gingerbread Man, went well, I thought I'd do another one.  But The Gingerbread Man had too many characters.  I managed, but it was a little crazy.  So I thought about stories with 2 characters and I came up with Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad.

What's even better about doing Frog and Toad is that there are MANY stories with these characters so I can use them over again!  Above, you see the finished puppets.  These are more traditional hand puppets, so I can manipulate their hands and heads a bit.

Below - this is my paper mache' station.  I used water balloons for the heads and taped small round beads for the eyes.  I also made paper mache' "hands" for both characters.
The following day I popped the balloons (the beads stayed inside) and I painted them.  I had to paint them according to body color fabric I already had.  If I were being really true to the book, Toad would be more brown.  The "hands" are drying on my marker rack in the background.
Here's how I put the body together.  I made a "glove" of primarily dark fabric and a bit of "frog flesh" at the top.  I leave the finger holes and the neck open.  I hot glued the neck in place. Then, separately, I made the pants with open legs.  I just hand stitch the top of the pants to the outside of the puppet glove.  (There will be a belt - so it isn't too neat.)  Then I sew a little jacket and I hot glue the "hands" inside the sleeves.
I then just stitch the jacket in place, right over the shoulders and that part is done.  The final thing I did was to make feet out of polymer clay (to weigh it down.)  Bake the feet.  Then I glued them into the open legs. (You can see the feet in the top image.) Ta-da - hand puppets.
It took about 3 days to do these and they are far from perfect.  But I think they'll be cute enough for the kiddies!

2 comments:

äiti said...

Cute enough for me, too! These are great.

Jessica said...

These are the greatest ever!!
Frog and Toad are still some of my most favorite stories!