Sunday, February 10, 2008

Frog Gets Fly

It's only been in the last week that I've been turned on to papercuts.  Over at Angry Chicken, she does them with a more folk art feel.  I think she had a link to Scherenschnitte where there are more modern and totally cool ones.  And I got inspired.  Isn't it great when that happens!?

So here is my first original piece: Frog Gets Fly
Well, okay - it's not my FIRST piece.  I did a Valentine, but I can't show that yet.  And I did a tutorial.  But that wasn't my design.  I'm considering this my first serious piece.  It's small, 4X6" and I did it for a "small works" auction at the New Britain Museum of American Art.  This will be my third year donating a watercolor for the main auction and they ask for a small piece for the $75.00 auction.  So, if this sells, it will be for $75 - which is probably about $45 more than anyone would normally pay for something like this.  But I think the people who attend this event are a little on the loaded side and it's for a good cause.

All in all - I'm pretty excited about it.  

5 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Ooooooooooooh. I LOVE IT! That is really a beautiful piece. jan

äiti said...

Damn, woman. You are loaded with talent.

I love it. How did you make it?

Julie_c said...

Shirl - I used origami paper and folded it in two, then I sketched my design on the white side. Most of it I cut with an Xacto blade but I used a hole punch for the circles and a little scissor work where I could. Then I just pasted on that sage green paper. (Although I started out with about 8 choices for background paper and had to widdle it down.)

Natalie said...

Is there nothing you can't do, woman? I wish you were my next door neighbor so I could watch and (sort of) learn. :-)

Julie_c said...

Natalie - wouldn't that be fun if you were my neighbor. I could learn Italian and teach you art!