Thursday, February 28, 2008

Koi and Flowering Peach

Tomorrow I have to submit my paperwork for the pieces I plan to donate to the New Britain Museum of American Art's (NBMAA) Annual Auction.  So I needed to finish the work to make sure it was good to go.

This piece, Gathering of Koi, was something I started months ago.  I think I did it in my watercolor class but didn't finish it.  So I only had to put another hour or so into it for the auction.  
It's always funny to me to see which fish I end up liking the best.  I think my favorite is the dark one hiding behind the main fish.  I like the way his blues turned out.

Along with the main painting, the museum does a little "postcard" auction, where the works can be no bigger than 4" X 6" in size.  I was going to donate the frog scherenschnitte, but since all the pieces sell for $75.00, I worried that no one would want it for that much.  So then I painted Flowering Peach on some lovely textured rice paper.  Now I don't know which one to choose.
Any opinions?  Frog or branch?

3 comments:

äiti said...

This will come as no surprise, I am sure. If I had $75 to plunk down, I'd pay it for the frog, hands down.

The painting is beautiful, the combination of the paper and painting is particularly lovely.

But, I love the drama of the frog.

Snippety Gibbet said...

I looooooooove the painting. It is really beautiful to me. I could be valuing it more than the paper cutting because I don't paint very well and appreciate it more. But I vote for the painting. jan

MIMI said...

OMG, they're both exquisite. Seriously. Of course someone will pay that much for the frog. However, I don't know how you part with any of it. I'm still such a fan of yours.