Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mocha Hearts

The February Cookie of the Month is a Mocha Heart.  This is another recipe form my Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookie Magazine 2002 - which the cat nearly destroyed by spilling water all over it.  I didn't discover the damage until the following day and the poor thing (the magazine, not the cat) was completely saturated.  But it survived!  Hoorah!

These were actually lists as Mocha Logs but I wanted to do a heart shape for Valentine's Day so I switched it up a bit.  Mmmmmm.  I think I made them a little too good.  I can't stop eating them.  They're not Magoo's favorite though.  I think they have too strong of a coffee taste for him.  (All the more for me!)  I would say if you want to make something for the kids to enjoy, try this with a shortbread recipe.  

MOCHA HEARTS

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (3, if you want a more mild coffee taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

-In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar, espresso powder, salt and baking powder.  Beat until combined.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Beat in flour until combined.  Chill.  (I chilled it for about 2 hours and used a decent amount of flour in rolling it out.)
-preheat over to 375 degrees.
-prepare rolling surface and don't be stingy with the flour.  Roll out 1/3 at a time, keeping the rest covered.  I'd say 1/4" thickness is good.  Cut the hearts and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake approx. 8 minutes per batch.  Cool.
-begin melting chocolate in double boiler, stirring constantly.  When it is all melted, remove from heat and let it cool a bit.  
-now chop the pecans into teeny, tiny bits.  (Food processor is preferred.)  Have them in a bowl ready to sprinkle.
-line a tray with wax paper and dip half the heart in chocolate.  Sprinkle with pecans.
-when you finished a tray, set aside to cool.  (I put them on the back sun porch - where it's friggin' cold - for about 15 minutes.)  When the chocolate is completely set, you should have no problem stacking them without sticking.  Makes approx. 36 cookies.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

äiti said...

These look yummy and pretty.

I made my first pineapple upside down cake this morning. The sides stuck a bit to the pan so I've been nibbling on those "useless" crusty edges all morning :-)

We're having some friends over this afternoon and I'll serve it for a snack.

Julie_c said...

Mmmmmmm - sounds good. You know - that reminds me. When you guys came up after Xmas, I did, in fact, save you some buckeye cookies. Michael rediscovered them a week or two ago. I think he ate them. I'm not sure.

Next year!

Natalie said...

These sound great! I'm thinking of my coffee-loving husband for Valentines Day...

(The heart shape is much better than the log shape I'm imagining).

I made your zucchini/chocolate chip muffins, by the way, and they were a great hit!