Monday, February 4, 2008

Paper

As I am in the midst of doing the final art for my picture book, one of the things that I am enjoying most is creating the kimonos for the ninja master.  My little ninja guy, the star (so to speak) is primarily in a black ninja costume.  He's cute.  But working with all the beautiful papers for the kimonos is turning out to be so much fun that I really look forward to it and am actually a little disappointed when there's no kimono in the spread.

This week I will work on a scene that lasts 3 double page spreads and the master wears the same kimono in all three.  In one spread, the kimono takes up 2/3 of the entire space, in another, it is very tiny.  So I had to find a paper that was A.) big enough for me to accommodate all that space and b.) would work well large as well as small.
I'm hoping this is the paper.
Isn't it gorgeous?  This is a hand stenciled sheet of paper featuring cranes and other water fowl and when I cut it, I will probably cringe.  It is so beautiful on it's own I could put the whole thing in a frame. (Maybe I'll do it with a scrap.)  But I think it will be perfect for the task at hand.  
I special ordered it from Aiko's Art Material Imports in Chicago.  So gorgeous.  And can I say I felt quite the professional to be special ordering paper.  I wish I could show you what it looks like when the spread is done, but I'm pretty sure that would be frowned upon by the legal department at Viking.  Not until the book's published at least.  I guess you'll just have to go out and buy it. :)

1 comment:

äiti said...

It is beautiful.

But, have you cut it yet?

It may look different as part of a bigger work of art, but alone, it looks very "female". It's the red and white combo, I think.

xo