Friday, February 29, 2008

Three Seed Bread

My bread machine had to have been boxed up for a good 4-5 years.  It's big.  My kitchen is small.  So it just never got used.  About 4 months ago, a good friend and neighbor started using hers again and praised having fresh baked bread.  I was unconvinced.  I still wouldn't get it out. Then I was having a highly domestic day(of cleaning) and I needed something creative and productive to do.  SouleMama posted her recipe for WHO bread and I made some right away. 

There are healing powers in the smell of bread baked bread - I just know it.

So now I am a bread making machine.  Here is the latest:
THREE SEED BREAD (for the bread machine)
Add ingredients - in this order - to your bread machine:
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup flaxseed
2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
2 tsp (or 1 package) active dry yeast

Select basic bread cycle and let it do its thing.  This bread turned out so tasty and is really good toasted with butter.  Mmmmmm.  I think I'm making another loaf today!!!

3 comments:

äiti said...

I've been thinking about the bread machine lately. The GFCF loaf I used to make in it the kids didn't like.

Since then, the machine has been lying very fallow.

There are tons of GF recipes for bread out there, I just need to find some motivation.

I love the simplicity of bread with wheat :-)

Jay said...

I had a hard time with our machine. Several tries ended up with lop-sided bread. I gave up and now it is in my aunts basement. (no room at the inn right now) Any tips?
oh, and, YUMMY!

Julie_c said...

Note - I just moved the salt up in the order. It should come in right after the water.

Jay - 2 things I've learned is that you should use warm water - not cold. And the order in which you load the machine is important. Yeast should go in last and not touch the water or salt right away. (Especially if your machine is on a timer.)

Other then that, the setting you choose matters as well. The first time I made the three seed bread - I set it for a whole wheat bread. It took 4 hours and came out dense. Good dense. Now, this time I tried it one a regular bread setting and it took 2 1/2 hours and came out taller and lighter. Good lighter. So it's really just how you like your bread.