Friday, February 1, 2008

Tote Bags

I love bags.  I can't get enough of 'em.  And what makes Lotta Jansdotter's book, Simple Sewing, so great is that she has a pattern for funky tote bags.  (And a lot of other cool things.)
I made the red one a couple weeks ago from skirts I bought at the Salvation Army.  I figured I didn't want to use anything too expensive on the first one.  And I followed the pattern step-by-step.  For the pink lotus bag, I made some alterations.  For starters, it is smaller because it is for a little girl.  But the big changes (and they really weren't big) had to do with hiding the stitching because I rarely have the proper color thread.  So instead of folding over the handles and stitching over top, like Lotta, I stitched on the wrong sides and pulled the handles through. And instead of folding over the top of the bag and stitching rectangles to secure the handles, I made a little 2 " cuff to go inside the bag so I could just stitch round the top and hide all the bits.
(Sorry the photo is out of focus.)
The fabric is Lotus by Amy Butler and I made a little Shrinky Dink frog charm because the little girl loves frogs.  I hope she'll like it!!!

1 comment:

äiti said...

Julie, these are so awesome! You rock.

I was thinking earlier today about using that gift card I got for my b-day to buy a sewing book. This pic inspires me.