Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Valentine Fortune Cookies

Sometimes when I am grocery shopping, I will coast by the magazines and flip through a Martha Stewart Living.  If I see something interesting I will buy it thinking there will be other interesting things in it as well.

This time I saw these.  Felt Valentine's Day Fortune Cookies.  They were just so darn cute I bought the issue and then I thought who I could make them for.  
There's a list of possibilities - my husband being first, but we don't usually do this sort of thing on V-Day.  We're going out - a real treat.  So I decided that I could make a few for Magoo's teachers who are sooooo great!

For starters I bought the felt and the chinese food containers at Michael's Arts and Crafts.  In lieu of the colored ribbon Martha suggests, I just used strips of the felt.  I had the hot glue gun and wire at home already.  These are really easy to make.  I cut out circles a little smaller than a saucer.  Glued a piece of wire across it.  Glued a strip of felt across that.  Bent it and stuffed it with a few Hershey's kisses and a teacher quote like:
"A teacher affects eternity; she can never tell where her influence stops." - Henry Adams

I thought that might be a little more appropriate then, "You will meet a tall, dark stranger."

Anyway, that's it.  Pretty easy.  

I ended up not caring for too much of the rest of the issue.  It deals more with a lifestyle that is unlike my own, for example, how do you clean your diamonds and how to make a 17 layer chocolate mouse cake in 5 days.  That sort of thing.  I need it quick and dirty, Martha.  But it is a gorgeous magazine, so maybe I'll find something in it another day.

2 comments:

äiti said...

What a great V-day gift. I'm sure his teachers are going to love it.

You crack me up---no diamonds lying around to clean, huh?

Julie_c said...

You know how Martha is - articles on how to throw a 12 course meal for 20 guests. How to get the champagne stains out of your fine linen. It's a different world.