Monday, April 7, 2008

Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets

You know you're hard core when you're making your own chicken nuggets from scratch - right?!  I have to say - up front - this was a time consuming recipe.  But it makes a big  ol' batch and you can freeze them for later.

(Notice my beautiful new stainless steel skillet!  It's so pretty!)
CHICKEN NUGGETS

1 lb. chicken cutlets (I used breast meat) - cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced (You can taste the onion, but it's not overpowering.  But if you really don't want to taste it - cut it back to 3/4 of the onion or use a small one.)
2 tsp dried parsley
1 small pear, peeled and grated 
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (I made GFCF and Yeast free bread that morning.  That stuff's just not tasty.  But it was good for bread crumbs.)

Breading:
More bread crumbs and crushed potato chips (Check the oil on the chips!  Cottonseed is bad if you have yeast sensitivities.)  I don't really know how much I used, I just kept crushing chips and bread until I had enough.

1. Chop everything.  This is the time consuming part.

2. Put chicken, onion, parsley (Oh, I forgot, I added some mixed Italian herbs for flavor - that's up to you), pear and 3/4 cup bread crumbs in a food processor and mix those babies up.

3. Press small balls of the chicken mix into a nugget shape with you hands.  Place bread crumb/ smashed chip mix on a shallow dish and press the nugget in the "breading" to coat it. Have a few plates ready to hold the coated nuggets.  I filled three dinner plates.  

4. Heat up a skillet and pour in enough oil (I used Safflower) for shallow frying.  I used a Med. High heat.  Fry those nuggets up - about 8 minutes per batch - turning constantly.

The whole thing took me about 90 minutes start-to-finish.  But I fed the three of us for dinner and have about 3-4 servings in the freezer for Magoo.  All in all, I'd say they turned out well.

1 comment:

äiti said...

From one "hardcore" mom to another, them nuggets sure look yummy!