Monday, April 28, 2008

Yellow Cupcakes

Magoo was invited to two birthday parties this weekend.  He had been to a small party, a few weeks ago, for a close friend and the friend's mom made a gluten-free, casein-free, yeast-free honey cake b/c she's moving into the gluten free world too.  So that was very nice.  But this weekend there would be regular cake and regular pizza that all the kids would be eating them - except Magoo.

Now I had already mastered GFCFYF pizza.  I didn't know if Magoo would want the other pizza, but at least I knew he liked my option there.  But the cupcakes were new.  Also, there's a difference between getting a cupcake and gelling a slice of the Thomas cake with a candy wheel on it - you know?

So we talked about it ahead of time - me, being unsure if he really understood.  But he was fine. He usually is.  I worry - he's fine.  He ate his own pizza.  He ate his own cupcakes and didn't complain once.  At one party I even heard one of the other kids go, "I want a cupcake."  :)

So here's the recipe, modified slightly from the Living Without webpage.

YELLOW CUPCAKES

1/4 cup canola oil (or you can use 6 Tbsp vegan spread)
2/3 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
1 cup white or brown rice flour
6 Tbsp potato starch
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp xantham gum
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh lemon juice with enough rice or soy milk to equal 3/4 cup
*it also calls for 1 tsp vanilla extract, but Magoo can't have that b/c of the alcohol content so I just added a bit more fresh lemon.

Preheat oven 325F.  Line muffin tins.

In one bowl mix (electric mixer): oil (or spread) and eggs.  Add grated lemon peel.  Mix.

In another bowl mix: flours, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda  and salt.

In another bowl (I know, too many bowls, right?) combine lemon, milk and honey and vanilla, if you're using it.

Okay - now you're going to combine these things, but you're going to do it gradually.  Bowl #1. with the oil and egg mix, that's you're main bowl.  Add a little dry (flours), mix, add a little wet (milk, etc.) mix, add a little dry, mix, add a little wet, mix, end on adding dry, mix.

Spoon about 3/4 full in cups.  It will puff up in the oven, but when it cools, it will shrink to the right size.  For Magoo, I topped with a thin coat on honey and some shredded coconut.  For me, pictures, a thin coat of honey and blueberries.  (Raspberries would be good too.)  They turned out very well, they are lemon fresh and my husband thinks they more more like the consistency of a pound cake.  They're nice and light and great for the summer!  

5 comments:

äiti said...

At Whole Paycheck ;-) you can get powdered vanilla. The cupcakes look beautiful and sound like a hit!

Isn't it funny (and gratifying) when another kid longs for the GFCFYF option?

At our weekly co-op meals, I always have to be mindful that Aki's alterna-meal (which isn't always necessary b/c our dinner mates are very cool about fixing meals that everyone can eat) isn't anything that the other kids are going to want and have a hard time about.

Learned that one when I once brought him some hotdogs :-)

Julie_c said...

It's tricky - yes. Today I had to send another cupcake to school b/c a child was having a birthday. He's probably friggin' sick of these cupcakes by now!

I did not know about powdered vanilla. Good tip. I DID buy a jar with 1 whole vanilla bean in it. I don't think I could explain why - but just seeing a singular bean in a glass jar - it was like the coolest thing ever.

I will look for the powder though. Thanks!

Julie_c said...

Curses! Vanilla powder has maltodextrin in it!!! No "malts" is one of the first rules of the yeast free diet - doh!

äiti said...

Doh!

Can vanilla bean be grated like nutmeg can? I can't remember what those flat, small graters are called...

I use them for zest (but it's not a zester :-) and I've seen them used for chocolate and nutmeg, as well.

Also, so glad to see Living Without mentioned---I love that mag!

Julie_c said...

I haven't figured out exactly how to use the vanilla bean - but I will. OH - I will!