Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bit Like Bit O Honey

Out of the blue, Magoo asked for some candy.  He's never been a huge candy kid and now, with the new diet, he's not even allowed to eat the stuff.  So I fibbed and told him we didn't have any. ( Hey - it's not a secret chocolate stash if I share it! )  But I did the next best thing - I made some candy.

My Feast Without Yeast Cookbook has a couple candy recipes in it.  I opted for Honey Crunch Candy.



Honey Crunch Candy

Ingredients:
1 c. unprocessed clover honey
1/2 c. sweet butter (but I used a vegan spread)
2 1/2 c. puffed rice cereal - NO SUGAR or MALTODEXTRIN
(Note - if you are not gluten free, you can use 2 cups sugar free "O's" like Nature-O's cereal and 1/2 c. puffed rice.)

Put honey and butter in a sauce pan - turn on to medium heat.  Stirring constantly, bring the mix to a rolling boil.  Keep it up for 7-12 minutes until the mix caramelizes.  It will get darker and gooier.


 Remove from heat and stir in cereal.  Pour into a GREASED 8 X 8" Pyrex pan.  With a GREASED rubber spatula - spread it out evenly.  Allow to cool slowly.  No freezer.

When it's pretty darn hard you can cut it up into tiny rectangles - I did 1" X .5".  It's a chewy mouthful so I didn't want the pieces to be too big.

Then I cut out a TON of wax paper rectangles and got busy wrapping.  It's like Ol' Timey Candy!

I'm not sure it's what Magoo had in mind, but he seems to enjoy it well enough.  I have to admit it's slightly addictive.

And if the stuff in the pan hardens up too much and you can't cut into it - just zap it in the microwave for a few seconds. That oughta do it. 

4 comments:

äiti said...

Life can change so quickly...you are doing GREAT with all this, my friend.

I love the individual wrapping with little squares of wax paper!

Julie_c said...

Thanks. You know I think Mike and I are eating just as much of this candy as Magoo is. I think the chewiness of it is still a little unusual for him. He's used to chocolate.

Speaking of which - one of the neighbor's, who did not know if the diet change, gave Magoo some chocolate milk yesterday. ooops!

We're looking for reactions.

I tried to talk to him about saying "No thank you" is someone offers him chocolate milk and he said, "But I like it though." Sigh. When all is settled and healed in his gut, I'm really hoping I can put a little chocolate back into the diet. Just a little.

äiti said...

Did you freak out?

Accidental ingestion, though part of the whole kit and kaboodle of life, still holds power over us in an intense way (Erik maybe a little more than me).

"But I like it though." From the mouths of babes... :-)

I hope he doesn't feel anything yucky in the next few days.

Julie_c said...

You know - he seems okay. I may have noticed some very mild tics this morning at breakfast - but I couldn't say for sure either way. But, no, he seems fine. *phew*