Friday, May 9, 2008

Coconut "Ice Cream"

We had some friends over for dinner last week and they asked if they could bring dessert. I said "Sure!" and then went over the massive list of foods that were off the current diet - chocolate, sugar, dairy, gluten, etc. Then I said, "Good luck!" But Jessica and Scott know their way around a Whole Food and they have their own set of dietary omissions. What they came up with was sooooo yummy. Truly. This is something you'd want to eat even if you had no dietary restraints at all. Coconut "Ice Cream".

(Sorry the pic is so cruddy. One doesn't want to get too creative with melting ice cream.)

COCONUT "ICE CREAM"

1/2 cup rice milk
1 tsp corn starch
1 egg
1/2 cup agave
1 can coconut milk
1 cup shredded coconut

(Get everything ready to go in prep bowls. Once you get started to have to keep wishing and there's no time to go off and measure things.)

Put a pan on the stove, med- high heat. Dissolve corn starch into rice milk - constantly whisking.

Add agave and egg. Again, keep that whisk moving. Continue until it thickens (pre-boil).

Take off heat - mix in coconut milk and shreds.

Chill.

When it's completely cool - it is ready for the ice cream maker - usually takes about 20-30 minutes to thicken.

I made some into ice cream sandwiches with "special" cookies so when the ice cream truck came around the neighborhood and the kiddies went running I could go and get a treat for my little guy. If you do that - I recommend wrapping it up in wax or parchment paper to keep everything intact.

3 comments:

äiti said...

Yum! This sounds really good. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Isn't it nice how the universe expands? We tend to think of these as "limits" on our diets, meals, foods, but in actuality our repertoires are growing as we learn about and add more and more yummy recipes.

I made the dark chocolate brownies off of Gluten-Free Goddess' blog yesterday and they came out great. (I just tried to add the link to this comment and couldn't. I'll e-mail it to you.)

I noticed you said no chocolate, so these may not work for you guys right now (but maybe they could work for you while C's at school or asleep in bed :-)

Julie_c said...

You know - sometimes I think I'll go ahead and make something gooey for myself - but the reality is that I'm actually losing a little weight and I'm not exercising at all. I'm just not eating bread or crackers or store bought gunk anymore.

Now, if I could get my butt on a treadmill every once in awhile...

äiti said...

Doing DW showed me loud and clear a) how little food I actually need to eat; and 2) which foods contribute to "weight" and fleshiness (yes, bread, crackers, and store bought gunk are right up there :-)