Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Little Sewing Nook

Down in the corner of the basement, I have my little sewing domain.  Since I've been featuring my sewing more - and because I had to clean it up due to the furnace man coming - I thought I'd show you around.  Come in, won't you?

Up on my shelf - which is level even though it doesn't appear to be, I have ...

1. my sewing books.  Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter, In Stitches  by Amy Butler and The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule.

2. Jars filled with buttons and measuring tapes.  Pin cushion.

3. Dr. Phil doll that I made for Magoo when he was a baby.  he loooooooved Dr. Phil.  I think it had something to do with his big, round head.

4. My newly re-purposed thread rack.  This used to be a box of ink and stamps that Magoo got for a birthday present years ago.  I just couldn't throw the box away.  Now I can see what colors I have.  (I need another box!)

5.  Embroidery hoops.  Guess who doesn't know how to do embroidery?  Me!  Why do I have so many hoops?  I dunno.  But they look cool and I actually just ordered a book on embroidery so I can learn.

6.  My good ol' Singer.  It's not the best machine on the block - to be sure.  But it's getting the job done.  Maybe someday I'll upgrade.   Ssssh - don't tell my Singer.

Since it's been so hot, I have been able to get a few sewing projects done b/c the basement is the coolest place in the house.  But today, Wednesday, it's mellowing out a bit.  All the windows are open to let the cool air in, then I'll close it all up again when the yard gets good and toasty.

Have a cool day!

5 comments:

ang said...

Very cute and organized. I am looking for a permanent locale for my attempts at sewing. I am thinking of the basement. I like how you have your thread displayed. I am afraid to keep my sewing notions out in the open. The other day the twins unwound the only two bobbins I had managed to wind in 2 hours. Mama not happy. One would think that one would not have to have sewing notions under lock and key, but they get into everything. The kids weren't even trying to be obnoxious, just really really curious. Where was I? I was of course trying to make some GF meal. There has to be a better way.

Julie_c said...

Yeah - your little ones are more "into things" than Magoo. He likes my magnetic wand to capture stray pins - but - other than that, he's shown no interest in my sewing area.

Could you set up a little "sewing box" of things they could get into? Would they leave "Mama's stuff" alone then?

ang said...

What a brilliant idea!
Yes, I will definitely try that one. I would actually like for them to start sewing at some point anyway. Even Doran tried to sneak and sew a paper towel while my sewing machine was out the other day. I especially want the kidsto try embroidery. My grandma and great gran did and I would love for them to do it too.

Until I read that Creative Family book, I never thought to try to teach them at this age. Are you going to see if Magoo would like to embroider? Half the fun is looking at and collecting all of the notions. Thanks for the great tip!

äiti said...

Thanks for the tour! I love the thread rack.

Jay said...

Drat, I just threw out a stamp box that Lu had. It was a Melissa & Doug box like the one you have. I will keep that in the back of my mind if one come up again. Love the nook, some day...