Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Totes & More Totes

It hasn't been easy - but I've been sneaking some sewing time in here and there.  The beautiful thing about some of these simpler designs is that I can complete a project in an hour or so - and that's just about all the time I can manage.

These are (75%) Simple Totes from Lotta Jansdotter's book, Simple Sewing.  (I made a few of my own alterations.)  I made these for Magoo's teachers.
Can I just say, at this point, that taking nice pictures of bags is difficult!  1. I don't have a good lense for it.  2.  I need to make myself a light box.  This is my third set up!  (I felt kinda like a dork placing my bags all over the yard to take pictures of them. )  

Now these are my own design and I'm calling them Paperback Totes.  They are more like a kicky handbag but are big enough to carry a paperback.  I made them deep so your goodies stay in the bag and don't bounce out.  And I put a pocket on the front for your mail, grocery list, or a notebook.  These will be in my shop - when I get around to opening one.

This one shows the fabric a little better and the lining.  They are both fully lined.

This funky fabric is Kashmir Okra by Amy Butler.  It's what I made my Cabo Halter out of.  LOVE this stuff!

I just ordered a new book entirely on making handbags.  In the meantime, more totes to come!!!

4 comments:

ang said...

These are awesome! The teachers are going to love them. When the heck did you have time to make all of these? I am making one tote and several tea towels for all of Doran's teachers, therapists and aides. I have one and a half sets of tea towels to make and the scary-ass tote to make stiillll. However, I am learning which sewing machine needles bite the big one and which ones are awesome-damn Dritz needles.

I'd love to see your new handbag book when you get it in. The bags are supercool as is the fabric. I am finding that as I move along in life the more I like what I will call bright and active fabrics.

Julie_c said...

Absolutely. I'll let you know when the book is in. Probably later this week.

äiti said...

These are super cute and functional ---love that. I like that Amy Butler fabric too.

Shelley said...

Lucky teachers - cool stuff!