Monday, July 28, 2008

Soynut Butter Cookies

A few months ago, my friend Shirley recommended that I pick up a copy of Living Without Magazine. It's not perfect for our diet issues - but it comes darn close. And that's where I found the recipe for Sunbutter Thumbprint Cookies.

Now these are not actually those cookies. Sunbutter has sugar in it - so we can't use it. But unsweetened Soyut Butter is okay. Also, in the original - you add jam to the middle. Personally - I would like that a lot. But not so much for Magoo. And since these are cookies for Magoo - I went for the tradition fork design.

Here's my version:

SOYNUT BUTTER COOKIES

Ingredients: 2 cups Gluten-Free all-purpose flour mix
¾ tsp. xantham gum
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
8 Tbsp (1 stick) Earth Balance “Buttery” Spread
½ cup agave
½ cup honey
1 cup soynut butter, unsweetened & creamy


1. Mix dry ingredients together.

2. In separate bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add agave and honey and beat until fluffy. Add soynut butter and blend.

3. Slowly add dry mix to the soynut butter mix. Blend. Cover and allow to cool for AT LEAST an hour. Overnight is even better.

4. Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

5. Scoop out golf ball sized cookie batter onto sheets. Bake 8 – 10 minutes.

6. While cooling on the baking sheet – make criss-crosses with fork. You may want to have a small dish of flour to dip your fork into to prevent sticking.

7. After 5 minutes – transfer to cooling rack.

These cookie are best when stored in the fridge. They freeze well. And they're really good. They're not just Gluten-Free cookie good - they're Mmmmmmmmgood!

IN OTHER NEWS - I decided that instead of waiting until I had a complete set of bags to open the Etsy shop - that I'd present a few tomorrow and see if there are any takers. Let's call it a pre-sale. I'll snap pics today and they'll be up tomorrow.

5 comments:

äiti said...

They look very yummy.

Oh god, it's going to take a lot of will power to not buy another bag...

Natalie said...

Bring on the bags! :-)

sara said...

So, where are the bags! I want to see what you've been up to since I've been gone!

Mmmmm.... those cookies look YUMMY!!!

Off to ride Theodore this a.m. (if the rain holds off!) and look at Scooter this afternoon. I am rolling my eyes - The MIster has become Scooter obsessed. Guess as long as I can go shoe and second hand store shopping with Jess & Mom I'll just keep my comments to myself.

Miss you guys!

Jessica said...

ohh, those cookies look so delicious! I am all about the traditional fork mark on a peanut butter cookie myself and would be just as happy to eat them without all the sugar most cookies contain. Sugar is over rated and over used!
Can't wait to see the shop today. I'm gonna' keep checking till it's up!!!

Liam said...

My daughter can't have peanut butter... we use Sunbutter... peanut butter made from sunflower seeds... yum... (not really but she likes it.