Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Crackin' Good Crackers

Inspired by this post at Angry Chicken, I decided to give gluten-free crackers a go.

In this pic they look kinda like my graham crackers - but these are much smaller, thinner and more orange.  I would say they turned out pretty well - as crackers go.  They have more of an herby taste, as opposed to a butter cracker.  And they are crispiest cooled out of the oven.  Over time they take back in a wee bit of moisture and lose a little crackle.  But I'm going to try to roll the next batch crazy thin and see that happens.

Gluten-Free Sesame Crackers 

-1/4 c. chickpea flour
-1/4 cup gluten-free baking flour mix (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. baking powder
-1/8 tsp turmeric
-1 Tbsp flax seed
-1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, lightly ground
-1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp sesame oil
2-4 Tbsp water

-Preheat oven to 350.  Place all sesame seeds on parchment paper lined baking sheet.  It took about 2 minutes to toast them.  Keep an eye on them.  You don't want burnt seeds!

-Take a Tbsp of the toasted seeds and grind those puppies up.  I used a mortar and pestle (which I just bought at Marshall's - SCORE!) but you could use a small food processor.

- Mix dry ingredients. - Stir in sesame oil and begin stirring water in one tablespoon at a time.  When the dough can be formed into a ball, you're good.

-Knead the dough a little to distribute the ingredients.  Wrap it in plastic wrap and give it 10-15 minutes to chill/relax/form - whatever.  

-I took my parchment paper from before and laid it out.  Sprinkle with GF flour and rub some on your rolling pin too.  Now roll the dough.  Roll it thin.  Since it's already on the parchment paper, you don't have to worry about moving the dough separately so go ahead and get it really thin.

Have I mentioned you want it thin?

- When it's rolled out - move it, paper and all, to the baking sheet.  Cut 1"x1" squares and poke with holes to release extra air.

-Bake 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy!
Oops - I should have worked this in above, but I forgot.  See my lovely new mortar and pestle.  I was looking for one of these things all over the place.  The pharmacy didn't even know what it was!

Magoo liked them!  And we even put some soynut butter on them.  Mmmmm.  Good snack!

I will say this though - you may want to double the recipe.  This doesn't make a whole ton of crackers and then you won't want to share any.  :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Yummy! Those look so delicious!! They even look like real crackers with the fork holes! What am I talking about, those crackers are more real than real crackers!! (by real crackers I mean the ones you buy at the store) Do I really sound that crazy?
Magoo really looks like he's enjoying them! I can't wait till Franny is older and I can make her home made crackers just like you!!

sara said...

These crackers are SOOOOOOO good! They are SOOO much better than the ones in the store... and would taste great with some "Cheese, Gromit"!

Julie_c said...

Ooooo - cheese. I need to find a way to make a non-cheese cheese spread! :)