Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hill-Stead Museum and Grounds

My mom is visiting from Ohio so yesterday we went to the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington to look around.


I was here for the first time during the summer to hear poetry by Billy Collins and we couldn't really roam around then, but I was impressed by the beautiful grounds so I wanted to come back.

Above is the entrance into the garden.  Below is the front of the house.

Since most of my photography was based on things I might want to paint, I didn't take a whole lot of pics of the house.  I don't like to paint this level of architecture - it's a little tight for a watercolor.  But we took a whole tour of the inside and there's quite a lot of great art in there: Degas, Whistler, Monet, Manet, and Cassatt.  Mr. Pope certainly had good taste in art.

I was more interested in the grounds though.  So lovely.  Here are a couple shots.
 

It was a lovely day for a walk and despite there being a path into the woods - we decided it was a little too muddy and mosquito infested to go down it.  We stuck to the open air.

That might have been the best day of the few Mom's staying though.  Rain & clouds seem to be in the forcast - an intro to tropical storm Ike, which is on the way.  I hope there are some good movies playing.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh, the Hill-Stead Museum! This is such a wonderful place!
I remember going there with Sara. I think Scott was recording one of the poetry readings so we tagged along and throughly enjoyed ourselves. It really is the perfect setting for poetry. Every thing about it is lovely, the house, the grounds and the view!

Can't wait to see the paintings you make from the great photos!