Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mary's Birthday Bag

It was my mother-in-law, Mary's (a.k.a. Big Fat Liar) birthday a couple weeks ago and I made her this bag.  
It's just a simple tote - nothing fancy on the inside.  But I love a simple tote.  It's good for all sorts of things and I haven't been so bold as to try an inside zipper pocket yet.  Soon.

Earlier in the summer, I had been to Ikea and bought some of their canvas-like material.  I was showing Mary what I bought and she really liked this one.

Note to self - make a birthday bag. 

I got the basic pattern and directions from Purl Bee.  (This is a great site if you sew, knit or crochet.)  And I got the handles from JoAnn Fabrics.

I lined it with a plum fabric I got from that amazing tag sale I was at.

I think it came out really well and I plan to make a couple more to put up for sale.  And Mary liked it too.  Well, that's what she said anyway.  She is a big, fat liar!  :)


2 comments:

Jessica said...

That's a great bag! I'm going to start calling you the Bag Lady!!
Mary's a lucky mother in law.

You guys are so luck to be close to an Ikea. I have to say I'm a tad jealous!

Julie_c said...

It's sort of the perfect distance away. It's an hour. I fit was closer - I'd go too often. If it was farther away - I'd never go.