Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apples

This morning I got to accompany Magoo's Kindergarten class to a local orchard for their very first field trip!  Woo-hoo!  It was sunny enough.  Well - it wasn't raining.  But it was COLD! Frickin' frackin' cold.

They showed us how they pick the apples, peel the apples and then turn them into cider.  The kids got to help with every process along the way.

Here are some of the beauties from the apple tasting room.  Guess how many kinds of apple Magoo tried?  That's right - none!  Because none of them were baked into an muffin or pie!

But speaking of pie - last week I DID bake an apple pie.  And I have to say - it turned out pretty good.  My hubby didn't go for it - but he usually doesn't like fruit desserts so I wasn't too surprised.  But Magoo LOVED it!  He had big ol' pieces and wanted more.  So I'll definitely give it another go.  


The crust is gluten free and the filling is sugar free.  I could have used a little more crust - so next time I might add a few more ingredients.

APPLE PIE

Crust:
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp agave
1 vegan "butter" stick, chopped
4 Tbsp ice water

Pour flout, salt, agave and "butter" pieces in a food process and pulse until you get pea sized clumps.  Add ice water and continue to mix until smooth.

Cover in plastic wrap and cool for at least an hour in the fridge.

Filling:
5-7 apples, peeled and sliced
juice form 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp GF flour

Peel and slice the apples and place into a bowl.  Toss and let sit in the lemon juice.  Add cinnamon and allspice.  Toss.  Add flour.  Toss.  (I didn't add any other sweetener - but you could use some honey or agave if you like.  I was just sort of combining different recipes and winging it.)

Preheat oven to 350.

When the dough is cool, take 1/2 and roll out a 12" circle and place in your pie pan.  I placed my apples in - sort of neatly, filling in the bottom and building up layers.  When I was done I rolled out the rest of the dough - to about a 10" circle and placed it on top.  I didn't have any to spare.  I sealed it with a fork and cut 3 slits in the top then I brushed it with a bit of soymilk.

Bake for 1 hour.

Mmmmmm.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

See, that's how apple picking is supposed to be. Hats, scarves and mitts! Well that's how we do it up here in Canada anyway!

That is one pretty pie! Nice and golden brown with traditional forked crust. I'm salivating! Your hubby has got to be crazy not to find that appealing!! More for you and Magoo!!:)