Sunday, October 5, 2008

Busy/Fun Saturday

Saturday morning, Magoo marched in the town parade with his Karate group.  This was the first parade he ever marched in.  He was pretty excited.  We got there early (because I'm incapable of getting there any other way) and he had a chance to frolic with some clowns.


It was actually kind of funny b/c a girl in the group with a blue belt was totally afraid of the clowns.  Blue belt - HA!

Then the time came to march.  Magoo got right up front and helped to hold the banner.


And he was given another task - stay on the yellow line.  He took that task very seriously.
Here he is, head peering down, watching the goal, tongue drooping out of the mouth in serious concentration.

The two girls on either end kept veering left or right.  Magoo wouldn't budge from that yellow line though - so his place on the banner would move around - sometimes he'd be on the left side, sometimes he'd be on the right side - but his feet were always on the yellow line.

After the parade we walked home and had a quick lunch then we got in the car and drove off to Newington for the Waterfall Festival where I was a judge for the yearly chalk walk competition.

This is my fourth year doing the chalk walk.  The first two years I competed.  Year one - I got third prize.  Year two - I got second prize.  Then they changed the judging process - and THANK GOODNESS - because it used to be just one old lady who would leave insignificant notes by all the art, as a guide to the viewer like, "Notice the shape of the barn."  Things that didn't mean anything.  She was crazy!  And I think there were a lot of complaints because two years ago they changed the system.  The library enlisted three judges (of which I was one) and we had a form of criteria we would judge the work on and then they'd tally the points.  

This year there were only 2 judges - I'm not sure what happened to the third guy.  Here's Magoo helping me out.



And while I was busy with my numbers - Michael and Magoo hit the bouncy houses and kid activities and even got to hang out with Spiderman and the Cat in the Hat!  Exciting!


Mike then went on a bike ride - how did he have any energy left?  And in the evening I went out to dinner with a couple friend and had a fabulous cauliflower soup (which I am going to try to make) followed by a lobster risotto and a apple/peach/strawberry crisp.  OMG - soooo good! 

No post tomorrow b/c I will be in NY but I'll tell you all about it on Tuesday!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Your Magoo is great:)
It is so funny when kids are given tasks, some don't even think about them and some focus so intently they forget about everything else. I would have been just like Magoo!!

I love the picture with the Cat in the Hat and Spiderman. Magoo's pose is so animated, he looks almost like he could be a character in a Dr. Seuss book!

Your dinner sounds so delicious! Our mother makes a killer cauliflower soup that I have been thinking about making lately.

Who won the chalk walk?

Julie_c said...

You know - I'm not sure who won. I turn in my tally and get out of there. But the winner on my sheet was an eagle. It wasn't my type of subject matter, really, but it was beautifully crafted and made a strong overall impression.

Hey - if you or Sara want to snag me Martha's soup recipe - I would love that!

Jessica said...

Here is Martha's Cream of Cauliflower soup recipe. It has butter, cream and flour in it but I'm sure you'll have good alternative ideas.

1 large head of cauliflower
Juice of one lemon
2 tbsp. minced onion
2 celery stalks minced
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. light cream (scalded)
dash of nutmeg
grated parmesean cheese

Break cauliflower into flowers, cook with lemon juice in small amount of boiling water until tender. Drain and whirl cauliflower in blender until pureed. Saute onion & celery in butter 2-3 min. Blend flour into onion and celery and stir in broth. Cook stirring until slightly thickened. Stir in cauliflower, cream, nutmeg and garnish with cheese.

Makes 1 3/4 quarts or 6 servings.