Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cauliflower Soup


I mentioned in my weekend post that Saturday night I had a FANTASTIC cauliflower soup at a restaurant called Barcelona in town.  It was luscious.  It was like wearing new fluffy socks or a flannel robe right out of the dryer.  It made me warm and happy.

A soup like that - I gotta try to make, right?  Right.

So I went online and started searching and I came up with something that I thought would be a good place to start.  One thing was important - non-dairy.

Now, my soup wasn't as good.  I didn't expect it would be.  But it was, in fact, good soup.  So I'll give you my slightly modified recipe.

SPICY CAULIFLOWER SOUP (But it's not really spicy)
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large potato, diced
1 small cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup water
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup soymilk
salt and pepper to taste

So you start with a large pot and heat up that olive oil and throw the onion and garlic in there until the onion is translucent.  Add the potato, cauliflower and the water.  Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add ginger and spices - stir them up and cook for another 2 minutes.  Now you can add the stock and any other seasonings you might want (salt, pepper).  Bring to a boil and cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the veggies are soft.  Stir in soymilk.

Now it's time to whip out your food processor.  Depending on how big it is - you might have to do it in batches.  I did four batches.  Put it in - blend it up.  Put it in - blend it up.  When it's all blended and smooth - put it all back in your soup pot and heat it up a little more - give it another 5 minutes or so.  Serve and eat.  Yum.

See, I forgot to add space for the pics - I always do this.

So here it is bubbling in the pot:

And here's the finished product with some bread.  It was a good hearty dinner for a cool autumn day.

But I want it a little creamier so I'll either A.) add more milk or B.) add a little yogurt.  And I totally forgot the soup I had in the restaurant had toasted pine nuts in it so I'll try that next time too.

In other news, mainly for Sara - I finished Twilight last night.  Once it got to a certain point (after a family gathering in the woods, wink, wink) I just could not put it down.  So I  missed most of the debate.  And now I have to try really, really hard not to start the next book until Friday because I have too much work to do and those books are so darn tempting!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Mmmmm, your soup sounds really good and much different then Martha's. I think I am going to try making yours. I'll have to find a cauliflower at the market this weekend.
Was the one you had in the restaurant spicy?

I guess I had better start reading Twilight to keep up with all you big kids;)

sara said...

That soup was outstanding, wasn't it! Even I've been dreaming about it! I'll have to see what I can come up with! Maybe I could do it in my crockpot.....

Julie_c said...

It was creamy and luscious. It was a warm blanket inside my belly.