Friday, December 5, 2008

Black Bean Brownies

I know what you're thinking - black beans in brownies?  Ew!  But you'd be wrong.  I was intrigued when I found this recipe online.  And the person who made them RAVED about them - so I thought I'd give it a go.  

Now I should mention that I made some carob brownies a little while ago and while they were fine - they didn't rock my world.  THESE, my friends, rocked my world!

This is a just a shot of the process.  It's messy.  It's not rip-a-box-open-and-add-eggs easy.  It's a little complex.  But these days my life is complex - so it fits right in.

Let's get to it:

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

12 Tbsp carob powder
1 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 cup unsalted "butter"
2 cups canned black beans (rinsed)
1/4 cup GF instant coffee ( I loved this flavor, but hubby thought it was a little strong so if you're not a huge coffee lover, you might want to cut it back a tad.)
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups light agave syrup
(optional 1 Tbsp GF flour)

Preheat oven to 325.  Line a 11 X 18" baking dish with parchment paper or lightly oil it.

Melt "butter" in a glass bowl in microwave for 1 -2 minutes on high.

Place beans, carob powder, baking soda and oil into bowl of a food processor. (Add flour too, if using.) Blend about 2 minutes or until smooth.  The batter should be thick and the beans smooth.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine coffee and salt.  

In ANOTHER bowl, beat eggs until light and creamy.  (I don't know if mine ever got "creamy" but I whipped them up good.)  Add agave and beat well.

Combine bean mix with coffee mix.  Blend well.  Put 1/2 cup of egg mix aside (for marbeling) add the rest to the bean mix.  Mix it up!

Pour batter into the baking dish.  Give the 1/2 cup of the remaining egg mix and extra go with the electric mixer to make it good and fluffy.  Drizzle it over the brownie mix and pull a tooth pick through to marbelize.

See, that's the marbelizing.

Back for approx 45 minutes.  (Set your timer for 40 though and test it.)  Let cool completely before cutting.  Then it's best to keep them in the fridge.  The coolness helps them solidify.

Now I will say, they are gooey and they don't hold together that well.  But in this house, they only had to hold together well enough to make it into my mouth which meant only about 5 seconds.  I think I will add a touch of GF flour to the next batch to see if that holds them together a bit - but if you keep them cool and you're careful about cutting and serving them, they held together well enough and they were OH SO YUMMY!

Magoo and I couldn't get enough of them and he's been asking for them ever since!

4 comments:

Chicklebee said...

They look great. I think I'll make them for the big sleep over!!!
But, why is "butter" in parentheses.

Oh, and Magoo can have corn tortillas, right (there's corn, water and lime).

Jessica said...

Oh wow, those sound fantastic!!
I love new ways to sneak those wonderful beans into Josh's diet;)
Can you taste the beans? Or does all that coffee flavor cover it?
What is agave syrup? Is it a replacement for sugar and could I use honey?

I will make these for sure.
The marbeling is so pretty!

Julie_c said...

"Butter" is in parentheses b/c we can't use real butter. We use vegan spread sticks. But for people who could use butter - then - there you go.

I couldn't taste the beans at all, Jessica. I would never have guessed the beans were there. I imagine the coffee does cover that taste up but the carob helps too. If you can use chocolate - you might as well, but you should look up what the conversion is, b/c you would want less chocolate than carob, I think.

Julie_c said...

Oh - I forgot. Agave syrup can be substituted with honey 1:1