Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lemon-Anise Biscotti (GF and Sugar free)

It was time to make Magoo yet another batch of treats and I came across a recipe for biscotti I thought looked interesting and, more importantly, adaptable.  So I gave it a go.

Here is the dough, fresh out of the oven.  Normally I would save this pic for later in the recipe, but isn't it nice to have a visual up front?


Lemon - Anise Biscotti

2 cups GF flour
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup honey
2 lg eggs
minced zest from 1 lemon
1/2 Tbs anise seed  
(If you can take vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, too.)

1. Put oven rack in the center and preheat 350.  Whisk flour, gum, baking powder, and salt together.  Set aside.

2. Whisk honey and eggs in a large bowl until well blended.  Stir in vanilla (optional), lemon zest and anise seeds.  (Note: If you're not familiar with anise seeds, they have a licorice kind of taste.  If you're not a fan of licorice, cut it down or swap it with poppy seeds.)  Sprinkle dry ingredients over egg mix and fold it in just until blended.  Don't go nuts.

3.  Halve the dough (and it's gooey so this isn't super easy) and spread it into a long log on half a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Do the same with the other half of dough.  It should look kinda like the photo above, only unbaked.  Bake until golden and the top slightly cracks, about 30-35 minutes.

4.  Cool loaves completely (about 10 minutes).  Lower oven temp to 325.  Cut each loaf, diagonally, into 1/2 inch slices.  Lay sides flat and return to oven.  Bake 7 minutes.  Flip 'em.  Bake another 7 minutes.  Allow to cool.

5.  Now here's where I veered off the written path a bit because i wanted a little glaze on mine.  We can't eat sugar so I couldn't make that lovely icing with the powdered sugar, so I mixed equally parts vegan butter and honey - about 3 Tbsp each - then I filled a plastic bag, cut a hole and made lovely little stripes.  I put the cookies out in the cold back porch and let the glaze solidify.  Then they were ready to eat.  Mmmmm.



In other news, we still have no car.  The mechanic spoke to the husband yesterday and I guess they're putting in some new parts.  It should cost us a good chunk of change.  Merry Christmas!  But honestly, if the car works - I'm good.  I was a nervous wreck driving that thing around.  I only hope I can pick it up this afternoon b/c it's supposed to snow HARD tomorrow morning and I don't want to deal with it then and there's karate practice on Saturday am.

Also, my book Wink, The Ninja Who Wanted To Be Noticed got another shout out in the School Library Journal Blog.  Hooray!

I am currently baking brownies and cleaning the house.  My good friend, Sara, is gonna let me borrow her wheels so I can get some last minute shopping in this afternoon.  Thanks Sara!

Busy, Busy, Busy. 

Oh, and the microwave broke last night.  :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Mmmm, I love Biscotti and a good cup of coffee! Yours looks delicious and I like the added touch with the glaze.

You must be chomping at the bit to find out what will be said about your book. Sounds like it should be a fantastic review!!

I hope you get your car back before the big snow. When it rain's it pours eh! Our microwave went on the fritz two months ago. We decided to wait and see how much we missed it and have since decided that extra counter space is rather nice. I think all we used it for was to heat up old coffee. Now we just make smaller portions and have it fresh.

Have fun shopping!

Chicklebee said...

When it rains, it pours...eh?

Those biscotti were SOOOOO SOOOOO SOOOOO good! I can't stop thinking about them. They reminded me of Mom's Lebkuchen (sp?) cookies (same flavour and consistency.)