Thursday, January 29, 2009

Avacado Clay Earrings

I bought this really cool book called, How To Make Polymer Clay Beads by Linda Peterson.  It was exactly what I was looking for.   I particularly like the beads that look like stone.  I don't have a lot of the tools she uses, but my goal is to make do with what I have as often as I can.  So when I wanted to make a bead with some texture, instead of buying a stamp for the purpose, I looked around my house.
 

When Mike and I were in Cozumel - eons ago - we bought this Mayan calender.  We thought it was carved out of something cool - but actually it's plastic.  Still - it had some great textures on it so I pressed a blob of avacado green polymer clay into it.  (Spray the mold with water first for easy release.)

This is how it came out.  Pretty cool.

Then I cut it into two rectangles and speared them with my little bead speary things to make the holes.  They're at the bottom of the photo (below) - ready to go in the oven.

I also made some small round beads and some larger ones that I rolled along the Mayan calender.  The white blobs are molds I made from the calender so I don't always have to use it.  Plus - if I want to make beads with texture on all sides, you need at least 2 molds to press the clay against.  

I baked them and let them cool.  Then I painted them with white acrylic paint and let that dry.

In the background are some very cool beads and jewelry that Mike's great aunt Eunice donated to my crafty cause.  (Thanks Eunice!  I love them!!!)

Then I sanded the white paint off of the upper parts of the bead so it's settled into the crevices and coated it with a glossy finish.  I tore apart a rather ornate single earring I had in my craft box and repurposed the silver bead tips on my new pair.  Voila' - earrings.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Ooh Julie, those are beautiful!
I think you may have found a new calling, bead maker extraordinaire!! You are just so cleaver! I love the color as well.

I used to make polymer beads when I was younger. I would make my mother a necklace every year for Christmas. It was a lot of fun!

äiti said...

Very nice.

Avocado...mmm....

Chicklebee said...

Gorgeous!!!! Wish I had a birthday coming up soon :(
Jess made some BEAUTIFUL beads. I have one of her necklaces. I'll have to show it to you sometime!
Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

(BTW - thanks for pulling N. to school this a.m.!)

pahurley said...

So bee-yoo-ti-full!

Julie_c said...

Jessica - Sara showed me some beads you made with suns on them. So fun!

Linda Peterson Designs said...

Great Job!! They are beautiful! Thank you for such a nice write up about my book. Im glad you enjoyed it. Please keep up the great work and keep inspiring others!

Creatively, Linda Peterson