Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Baking Yeast Free Breadsticks with Magoo

Sunday evening, I asked Magoo if he wanted to help me make dinner.  He said YES!  And was an excellent helper stirring the pasta.  He took great pride in his work and the following morning asked if he could help me make breakfast.  Ever since then he has been very interested in helping me prepare meals.  (This is a very good thing because with all his food issues, this is one boy who's going to need to be able to cook for himself.)

Last night I planned on making my cauliflower soup for dinner so I thought some breadsticks would go nicely with that.  Magoo was very happy to help me bake.

Here he is rolling out the dough - and I have to say, he did an excellent job.


Look at those little hands at work!

Here he is sprinkling the sticks with oregano.

They turned out great and Magoo was very proud of himself.  He even helped me with the soup a bit.  He stirred the onion in the pot and learned an important lesson about onion fumes.  And he broke the cauliflower up but wouldn't try it in its raw form.  (Which I always loved, even as a child, and still do.) However, he did eat the soup.  I wouldn't say it's his favorite thing ever - but he ate it without complaint.

But he really liked the breadsticks!

YEAST FREE, GLUTEN FREE BREAD

3 cups GF flour mix
2 1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened rice milk OR soy milk OR water
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 400.
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.
Mix liquids in another and add to dry ingredients.  Mix.
I, then, put the dough out on a lightly floured (GF) wooden board and knead it a bit.

FOR BREADSTICKS - separate into 8 balls.  Roll into sticks.  Brush on some melted vegan butter and sprinkle with oregano.  Bake 15-20 minutes.

FOR LOAF - Form dough into a ball or oval and place on baking sheet.  Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and oregano.  Cut and X over the top.  Bake 40 minutes.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Can you send him over to my house?!

Ah... the joy of cooking!!

Shelley said...

He might even be a baker someday. He looks like an expert already.

I can't wait to let my little guy get more involved in cooking. He can do some things now and would like to help with everything, but he's only 21 months, so we have our limitations!