Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Blue Clay Beads

I've been very busy lately.  I have two picture book texts in the works and I'm editing my first Young Adult manuscript.  I'm also working on a set of four collages on commission and then there are all the odds and ends of life: bills, phone calls, groceries, chores.  It can be overwhelming.  So I am trying to make sure I take a small amount of time to do something fun every day.  And right now that is making beads.

Again, I must give props to my new book, How to Make Polymer Clay Beads by Linda Peterson.  There are so many fun beads in this book, I'll be referring to it often, I'm sure.


For these beads I took some raindrop blue clay (I didn't have turquoise, which is featured in the book, and when I tried to mix some it looked dull.)  I pulled the clay apart into bits and then pressed them together into the shapes I wanted.  This had to be done several times to get it just right and it's important that you press - and not roll - because you loose the cracks if you roll and these beads are all about the cracks.

When they were baked, I stained them with some blue and green inks (things I had at home.)  I painted them and then wiped it off immediately.  I did this several times to build up the color in washes.

When I liked the colors, I stopped.  Then I dressed them up with findings.


I really like the way these turned out.  The ink enhanced the blue color of the clay and made them pop a little more.  (And I did make it out to the craft store and bought some turquoise clay, so I'll be trying that soon.)

And since I'm making more jewelry than I intend to wear - I think I'm going to have to seriously think about opening an Etsy shop.  I'll have to look into it.

4 comments:

EHJ said...

These are so nice! I like how the delicate the color is, but the repeated washes give them a certain substance, too.

EHJ said...

Sorry, I'm on Erik's computer and didn't realize I was logged in on his Blogger account. It's me, Shirley!

Linda Peterson Designs said...

Excellent job!! It's addicting isn't it? Thank you for all your posts and references to my book! Keep on Clayin!!

Linda

Jessica said...

You continue to amaze me with your beaded awesomeness!
I love the way you've photographed them as well!