Saturday, March 28, 2009

My First Wink Event

This morning I read my book, Wink! The Ninja Who Wanted To Be Noticed, at the West Hartford Public Library.  I'd say it was a pretty good turnout filled with friends and Magoo's classmates, present and past. (And a handful of people I didn't know.)
 
I read the book, then I talked about how the story progressed from an idea to a finished book.  I brought in sketches, research, dummy books, and color proofs.

There was definitely two layers to the presentation.  One for the kids.  One for the adults.  I could always tell when I was speaking to the adults for too long.  :)

As soon as that was over, I went next door to Barnes and Noble where they had a nice table set up for me.


This little boy (below) was so cute.  He came up all by himself and asked me to sign his book.  I wanted to eat him up!

The bookstore ordered forty books and they sold thirty-seven.  Woo-hoo!  It was so much fun to get to talk to people I hadn't seen in awhile.  And I truly appreciate everyone who came out and bought a book or just showed some support.

Don't you love the little boy in this one?  He's soooooo not impressed!

Unfortunately, Magoo and his dad could not make it.  Magoo didn't keep his breakfast down this morning, so nooooo library.  But all of his friends sent him warm wishes for feeling better soon.

It was such a great time, and now that my ego is properly inflated, I can scrub off my extra make-up, comb out my hair, and hunker down with my guys.

Thanks again to Wink buyers near and far.  And special thanks to Sara and Pam for taking photos. 

6 comments:

Natalie said...

So glad it went well, Julie! Your hair looks GREAT, and it looks like your p.j. nightmare didn't come true...whew! ;-) So glad it was a fun time.

Julie_c said...

Yep - I did manage to dress myself that day after all.

Meredith said...

He was SOOOO impressed...don't let the face fool you! No joke! He LOVES the book...and so do I. It is so welll written and clever! I love it. Teddy has been making fake movies with his figureines and calling the game "wink" and says it is the best book ever, I am not kidding! good to see you!

Julie_c said...

Thanks Meredith - I just love that shot though! He's too funny. It was so great to see you, Hadley, and Teddy. Thanks so much for coming out.

Jessica said...

Hey, I recognize the backs of two of those heads!!

It looks and sounds like you had a fun and fantastic day on the book circuit.

You look fabulous!!

Julie_c said...

Wow - you are a keen auntie. Those were the backs of N and A's heads!