Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Planting Seeds

One of the many outside activities that we did on Sunday was plant our seeds.

Every year I plant some seeds.  Most years nothing much comes of them.  But there's something about the act of planting that makes it feel more like spring.

I'd been saving my egg cartons and Magoo and I picked out some seeds.  He wanted sunflowers.  I wanted basil.  And last year's morning glory (that he brought home from school on Mother's Day) left us with some seeds, so we planted those too.

I think these are the basil seeds.  Last year my basil plants were tiny and weak.  My friend Sara's were luscious and strong.  What gives?


Watering is the biggest challenge for Magoo.  He tends to go overboard.  But he showed good control.  


He was a proud, proud boy helping his Mama.

I think we'll both be very excited when we see some sprouts!

3 comments:

Chicklebee said...

I can't remember where you planted your basil last year. I did mine in pots... don't know if that makes a difference. They also like the sun! I've got a mess of huge pots if you want them (I don't think I'm going to want to lug them down there).

How did you get the seeds from the morning glory?

I saw your seeds out there... good idea. I should get on the ball and plant some stuff... wait a second... never mind... it'll have to wait till next year or maybe some late summer basil plants (growing season will be a little longer...)

Julie_c said...

I will happily take any big pots you don't want to lug in the move. HAP-I-LY.

pahurley said...

I've been doing the same thing over the last couple of weeks. I know I'm just trying to "force" spring, but it's working for me. My morning glories are getting pretty tall (did you score the seeds before you planted them? they sprout faster if you do), but my beans and cukes are 10" long -- in about 2 weeks! Basil is still small, but I'm trying lots of it. Just couldn't get enough of it last year!