Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Red Cape

Once upon a time, I was a big, fat bridesmaid.

That's me, on the left.  I was seven months pregnant.  I could be the tomato in the Fruit of the Loom bunch.  I wanted to keep the blushing bride, one of my best friends, Staci, in the shot so you can see how large I am in comparison.  I wouldn't have been a big, fat bridesmaid for just anyone, you know.

Well, it turns out they don't make maternity bridesmaids dresses, so I had to order a size 14 and take it in myself.  As I worked on my big, fat bridesmaid dress, I thought, 'Someday, I'm going to make this into a cape for my son.'  Cause really, what else are you going to do with a size 14 maternity bridesmaid dress?

Friday, it happened.  Magoo wanted a cape.  

I had just gotten a package with some thin foam in it and I had some leftover silver robot material, so I made him a chest plate and arm bands too. He was so excited when he got home from school and saw his new superhero costume.  He wore it for the rest of the day.


Seeing a face like this makes the whole big, fat bridesmaid thing worth it.  And isn't it great when you spend time on something for your child and they really, really love it.  It's the best.

On Friday, we were both superheroes!


3 comments:

äiti said...

Love it, the circle of life :-)

Jessica said...

That's so funny! You always hear about these women with a closet filled with horrible brides maids dresses. Just think of all the capes you could make. You are genius Julie!!
You obviously knew you were having a boy?

Julie_c said...

Yes - I found out. I'm a planner. I like to have info as soon as possible to make all my little plans.