Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bad Painting = Good Collage

Last week I did a bad painting.  It wasn't awful, but it was pretty darn boring.  It just didn't pop.
But I had put some time into it and didn't want to toss it in the reject pile just yet.  So I decided to cut it up and make it into a collage.

This may not be your thing - but it is already so much more interesting than the painting was.
I like it.

I wish I had taken a shot of the painting before I cut it.  Alas - I did not.  But here is the image I painted, to give you an idea.

This is the Maumee River.  It's a spot where the water is low and you can walk along the limestone.  (I think it's limestone. Or slate or shale. Something.)  Very cool.  

Anyway, my layers didn't come out right.  I toyed with the colors to make more of a statement - but no.  This one just wouldn't work for me.  

Circle of its art life: Cool photo.  Bad watercolor.  Good collage.

2 comments:

äiti said...

I love that you are so open to process. It is inspirational!

Jessica said...

It's amazing how much something can change when you have a pair of scissors!

I find that often some of the best work comes when you are willing to take a chance and try something new and unexpected. I enjoy the results of your collage!!