Thursday, April 16, 2009

Magoo's Journey

Last night I was on the computer.  Magoo wanted a turn.  I asked him what he wanted me to load up.  
He said, "Big butts," and smiled his naughty smile.  
Mike said, "If you don't really want a turn, then I'll take one."  
Magoo said he did want a turn.  
I asked again, "What do you want me to load up?"  Magoo smiled.  "Big butts."   
"Okay," Mike said as he sat down at the computer.  "I guess it's my turn then."
Magoo was upset.  He and I went into the living room.  I sat on the couch.  He sulked on the floor.   Between frustrated sobs, he said we didn't love him and he was going to leave and build a house of of sticks.
"Where are you going to go?" I asked.
"Far away," he said.
"How are you going to get far away?" I asked.
"Transportation," he said.
Then he put on his boots and his coat and went out the front door.

He stopped on the top step.  Then he stepped down.  He stopped again.  Then he stepped down.
Each step after that was slow and deliberate.  Halfway down to the front walk.  He tuned and looked at the house.  I didn't think he could see me in the window.  He took a few more steps.

Then he turned again and waved good-bye to his home.


Here's a zoom of the shot.  It's blurry - but can you see all the emotion on that child's face?


He got one square south on the sidewalk before he turned and meandered toward our car.  



He hung out by the trunk for about a minute before he walked up to the house and slunk between the siding and the front bushes.  He stayed there for about four minutes, then began peeping through the windows.

It was 7:30, so I opened the window and said, "Are you ready to come in?  It's bedtime."

He walked up to the front door, still in full pout mode.  He didn't want any snuggles or kisses so we just went about our business as usual.  By the time he put his jammies on his mood was much better and I told him I was happy he came home.

5 comments:

äiti said...

Oh the milestones. What a gift it is to parent a child. You're all amazing.

Shelley said...

What a sweet sad face... I remember doing that too - except that I put a pair of pajamas in a tiny suitcase to take along. It must be some kind of rite of passage, knowing that you could actually go somewhere else. Alone. Powerful and scary. It's funny, you handled it exactly the way I remember my parents handling it. Just letting him figure out what he wanted. So wise.

cynjay said...

Aw. My son ran away to the driveway next to our house when he was 3. He hid under the living room window for almost an hour, not realizing that I kept peeking out and down to see if he was okay. At the end of it all he marched back in the house declaring that we didn't love him because we didn't come looking for him.

I only wish I had photos, because he's almost 12 and next time it will probably be for reals.

Jessica said...

Oh boy, that sure was a tear jerker. The waving and then those eyes peeking up into the window. Sure is hard being a kid.

Just be thankful he's doing it now, I didn't start running away till I was a teenager and I went much farther. Much farther! Sara can tell you some stories.

You are a good mama Julie!!

Chicklebee said...

OH YES.... I do have some stories...
Our Granny has some funny stories about our Dad running away from home!

What a pathetic look on that face... don't know whether to laugh or cry!