Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pre-School Author Visit

This morning I had my first official school visit.  It was to a preschool that a friend's daughter attends.  I'd been emailing the director back and forth and I planned to do 1 - 2 presentations for the children.

I ended up doing 4.

But it was a good learning opportunity for me.  This was my basic presentation:
- present a list of terms and ask kids if they knew what they meant, i.e. ninja, stealthy
- read book and ask questions, i.e. How do you think Wink felt?  What do you think happens next?
- present dummy book and do a compare and contrast between old art and book art
- Q & A

This is what I learned:
- The kids did not know what most - if any - of the terms meant and calling on many kids got hectic and time consuming.  By the second presentation, I was only asking if anyone knew what a ninja was and just defining the rest of the terms in a quick, simple way.
- they did enjoy listening to the story and they were good about answering questions about emotions.  This age group couldn't really predict what might happen next.
- They LOVED the compare and contrast!!!
- Typical Q & A:
Me: Does anyone have any questions about the book.  Yes, Veronica?
Veronica: My mom made eggs this morning.
Me: That's great.  I made eggs for my son, too.  Anyone else have questions about the book.
Ally: Me!  Me!
Me: Ally, if you'll sit quietly with your hand up, I'll call on you.
Ally bursts into tears.
Ally:  But I was doing that.  (tears, tears)
Me:  OK Ally, what did you want to ask me?
Ally:  (Wipe) My brother is learning about Japan.
Me: That's great.  What grade is he in?
Ally: Fourth.
Josh:  My brother's in fourth grade too.
Colin:  So's mine.
And then they were gone....

Once a teacher asked me a technical question about getting published.  As I told her, the kids discovered a bug on the floor and tried to kill it.

All in all, things went really, really well.  I feel like I have a successful 30-minute preschool program.  And I know that 4 preschool presentation is about my mental limit.

4 comments:

äiti said...

This is hilarious! Ah, life...

Shelley said...

Your retelling is too funny! Sounds like you had fun with it, though. Some great moments for your memoirs. ;)

Natalie said...

HA! Thanks for the smiles--your description cracks me up! :-) Glad it went well!

Jessica said...

Boy, you are one very brave and patient lady!

Sounds like a fun day!!