Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Purple Dress

Yesterday it was half-off day at Sally's Boutique (a.k.a. Salvation Army.)  I was looking for a frock to take to Virginia with me, something country-club worthy.  And I found something purple.

The first thing you need to know is that there are no dressing rooms at Sally's.  They used to have a couple, but I guess some people used them inappropriately (insert your own gross visual here) - so now they're gone.  No soup for you!

My friend, Sara, can hold items up to her body and tell if they will fit.  Not me.  I need to try things on.  So I arrived in a tank top and big skirt, so I could slip things over and under as needed.

I pulled eight dresses off the rack, but when I tried this one on (#3) I said, "Stop the presses.  This is it."

A. I liked the color.
B. I liked the cut.
C. I liked the price.  $3.50.

And I had just found my flowery sandals and I wanted something to go with them.  (More on that later.)

But the dress didn't come with a belt and it so clearly needed one.  So I made it.



This is essentially the Obi Belt pattern from Weekend Sewing.  It's not exactly - and it's not complicated so no need to buy a pattern if you have any skill at all.  But, if you're a newbie and you're thinking - I MUST make that belt.  Go ahead and buy the book.  (I bought the fabric at a tag sale for $.50.)

And here are the shoes.

Aren't they cute?!

I'm not a pink girl.  I have very little of it and I don't think it looks good on me, but I loved these shoes and they are super comfy - and half off.  (Shoes = $2.00)

So that's my thrift store look, purchased for $6.00.  I hope they let me into the club.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

OMG, WOW! Are you sure there aren't more 0's on that $6.00? You look stunning, too bad we can't see your face!
It is truly amazing, the things one can find at the Sally Ann. I love that crinkly pleaty type of fabric and the shoes are so sweet. Nice work on the obi, is it just one long piece of fabric tapered at each end? It seems like everyone is using that book lately, I feel like I should find a copy. What's it like, is there anything spectacular in it?

I bet you will be the best dressed lady in the whole club!!

äiti said...

nicely done :-)

Natalie said...

Okay, does this mean I need to hit the Salvation Army to keep up with you? Thanks for giving me the excuse to shop! See you at the club. :-)

Julie_c said...

Yes, Natalie - you MUST go out and buy pretty, girly things. Go NOW!

Jessica - I have to confess that I haven't made much out of the book yet. I've been too busy. I did make a kimono dress and wasn't super happy with it. I think it had less to do with the pattern and more to do with my fabric being too stiff, though. I also made a baby kimono for my little niece. There are lots of cute girl sundresses and I have a nice piece of fabric to make a skirt with.

FYI -The Obi is 6 pieces of fabric. 3 in front, 3 in back.

Chicklebee said...

You are SO Top Model in that Dress! You would TOTALLY win the thrift store challenge! In fact, I think you were the grand winner in our shopping spree this week! That dress is a stunner!

I love my $2.00 shoes.... that retail for $200!!!!!!! Can't wait to wear my Lichtenstein dress too....

Andrew and I are SO going back next week to find t-shirts!

Julie_c said...

You can go w/o me. I have too many clothes as it. But I'll be happy to droll over your finds.