Monday, June 29, 2009

The Cousins


Saturday we drove out to Rhode Island for a memorial service for Mike's Uncle Dave, who passed in March. It was a mass, and I wasn't sure how well Magoo would do in a mass (this was his first time in a church!) but he did great. By the end of the hour, he was definitely ready to get out of there. But there was enough standing up, sitting down, and standing up again in the mass to keep him somewhat occupied - and I brought some mazes. One of the best parts of the mass for me (other than listening to MaryBeth read about her father - which was very sweet) was watching Magoo enact an organ performance.

Then people stood and filed out, and Squirmy couldn't get to his cousins fast enough. (Although I'm told Magoo went up to the priest, shook his hand, and introduced himself first.)

After running around the church basement for awhile, Magoo and his cousins made it our back to the (locked) play yard.

The kids had a varity of ways in.


The first shot is of all seven cousins. I COULD NOT BELIEVE they all came over and posed for me. It was unreal! Then B. (in the white dress) just got a new camera so she ran out to get it and the kids all posed again!!! I shoulda bought a lottery ticket!

Here's N. It was hot that day and he poured some water over his head. Doesn't it look like an Ambercrombie & Fitch ad?

And B. looking oh-so-pretty as she hid during a game of hide-n-seek.

We then returned to Aunt Elaine's house where Magoo lived out a dream - showing his collection of Pokemon cards to two admiring boys.


I didn't know Mike's uncle very well. I think for the first couple years Mike and I were dating, Dave wasn't 100% sure who I was. He was usually with the guys watching sports on TV and I was with the women talking about girly things, like kids or whatnot. But he was always a pretty happy guy and boy did he love to play with his grandkids.

I know Dave will by missed. But I think the day went as he would have wanted it, with the family enjoying each other's company and lots of memories being shared and made.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about your family's loss.

Those black and white photographs are really beautiful, the top one with all the cousins is so wonderful!