Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lemon Vegan "Cheese"cake

I love cheesecake.

I'm not sure when I had my first piece, but I do remember when I lived in New York and the diner around the corner served the best stuff. I also remember, in that same diner, the prostitutes could sit in the first booth. Or the last. Well, they got one booth and it was at either extreme of the diner.

I never spoke to them, I was too busy eating my cheeeeeesecake.

And then I developed my lactose intolerance. Bye-bye cheesecake. Okay, I'd cheat every now and again, but I could never have a huge honkin' slice. Just a sliver and then I'd have to load up on pills. Not nearly as much fun.

But I recently learned that Vegan Gourmet put out a vegan cream cheese with no maltodextrin (which is something Magoo and Mike can't have) and I found a recipe I could tweak for vegan lemon cheesecake. My foodie buddy, Sara, was coming over for dinner last night, so I thought I'd try it out on her.

LEMON VEGAN CHEESECAKE

1 - 14oz. package firm tofu
1 - 8 oz. package Vegan Gourmet cream cheese
2/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 TBSP corn starch
1 - pie crust

I started by making a GF graham cracker crust. I baked it according to the cookie baking directions. This dough will puff up, so go ahead and roll it as thin as you can handle.

Preheat oven to 350.

Then I placed the tofu and cream cheese in the food processor and blended for 1 minute. I added the honey and blended another 3 minutes or until really smooth.



In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and cornstarch. (You can add 1/2 tsp. almond extract if you like. We can't use that stuff.)

Pour lemon mix into the food procerssor and blend it altogether. Pour it into your pie crust and bake for 45 minutes.


Allow to cool for 2 hours at room tempertaure and then put it in the fridge to firm up overnight. (This was the hardest part for me. It smelled sooooo good and then I had to wait!!! Torture!)

I picked some strawberriwes from the garden and plopped them on top.


It had a very nice, firm texture. And a light, creamy taste. The bottom crust was a little thick, but it wasn't a major issue. On the whole, I'd say this was a pretty darn good cheesecake. Now, if you CAN eat REAL cheesecake, that's much richer and denser. This is a tasty alternative, and for someone like me, who can't really enjoy that much concentrated dairy - it's a dream come true.

I had two slices. Sara had two slices. And ...

Magoo had two slices too!

Then Sara and I discussed some possiblity changes:
- substitute 5 eggs for cornstarch
- add some vanilla beans
- add some lemon zest.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to make - but if you have some time and want a non-dairy, non-sugar summer dessert, it's a goodie.

1 comment:

Chicklebee said...

That was some FINE cheesecake! Wish I'd snuck a piece for a midnight snack!