Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble Cake


Thanks so much to Jessica for sending me the recipe for the Blueberry Boy Bait, but I decided to tinker with something I tried before and put the blueberries to use in a Gluten-Free Blueberry Crumble Cake. (I'm still planning on making the Boy Bait someday, though.)

I made the cake part (minus the crumble) for Magoo's 6th birthday in December. But we didn't have gluten-free oats at the time and he can't he nuts - so I just served it up plain.

This time I had the right oats and I decided to substitute ground sunflower seeds for nuts and give the crumble a tumble.

The Topping:

1/2 cup sunflower seeds, ground up
1/4 cup GF flour
1/4 cup GF oats
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 TBsp agave nectar
1 T safflower oil

Mix seeds, flours, oats and cinnamon. Pour agave and oil over top. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease up a 9 X 9" cake pan. I use glass.

Cake Batter:

1/3 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup soymilk
2 TBsp ground flax seeds (Although I didn't go crazy with the grounding part)
grated rind of a lemon
1 3/4 cup GF flour mix
1 tsp. xantham gum
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 TBsp. baking powder
2 cups fresh blueberries

In a medium bowl, combine oil, agave, milk, flaxseed, and lemon rind.


Set this aside for a few minutes.

In a large bowl, mix flour, xantham gum, salt, and baking powder. Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. It's OK if there are a few lumps. Fold in HALF the blueberries. Spread into pan.


Sprinkle your crumble mix over top and then add remaining blueberries. Bake on middle rack for 45 minutes.

Enjoy! (This is lovely warm and fresh, but it's still good after it's cooled.)

1 comment: