Thursday, August 6, 2009

Carob "Ice Cream"


Magoo can't have chocolate - in addition to the MANY other foods that are taboo. And since chocolate ice cream is something I lurv so much, I thought I'd try to make something similar for him.

I have to say, this turned out GOOD! Even Mike said so. Sometimes it's nice if I like something and Michael doesn't - more for me. Not so with carob "ice cream." Now I have to share. *sulk*

It doesn't taste like chocolate. No, no. It's carob. It's like chocolate's cousin. There's a resemblance, but you wouldn't get the two confused. Still, it's a very nice flavor on its own and Magoo can eat it. And this is one smooooooooth desserty treat. Oh baby.

CAROB "ICE CREAM"

1/2 c. carob flavored soymilk
1 tsp. corn starch
1 egg
1/2 c. agave
1 can coconut milk
3 TBSP carob powder

Over medium-high heat, pour carob milk in a pot and whisk in corn starch.

When that has dissolved, add egg and agave. Whisk, whisk, baby.

Now add the carob powder.

Basically you're going to whisk for another 5 - 10 minutes. When you see the first bubbles of a boil, remove the pot from heat and whisk in the coconut milk.

Put it in a container and store it in the fridge for a few hours until it's completely cool. Then you're ready to put it in the ice cream maker and it usually takes about 30 minutes to solidify. Mike thought it was a little loose coming out of the machine (not me - yum), but it hardens beautifully in the freezer.

So good. Enjoy.

8 comments:

Chicklebee said...

You and your awesome ice cream are going to start giving Ben & Jerry's a run for their money!

Julie_c said...

I'm pretty sure they're shakin' in their birks.

Buzz de Cafe said...

yes, this is *good stuff*.
carob has been mislabeled a "chocolate replacement." this is more burden than any food can bear. on its own terms carob is quite good. there is no substitute for chocolate.

Jessica said...

I do so enjoy carob, and this sounds so easy and very yummy. I bet the coconut milk also adds some nice flavor. Too bad I don't own an ice cream maker :(

Buzz de Cafe said...

Jessica - you are so good at thrifting and tag sales, no? Do I have that wrong? My friend Heather found my EXACT SAME ice cream maker at a tag sale for $5.
I bet if you keep your eyes and ears open something will turn up. It's been one of my most used appliances.

Julie_c said...

Oopsie. That was me, Jessica. Not Buzz.

Jessica said...

Hehe... Yes Julie you are right, I love a good thrift but yard sales here are nothing like the wonderful tag sales you have in your neck of the woods. People sell the worst kind of junk you couldn't even give away. I will keep my eyes peeled but add it to my list of things that might make a good xmas/bday gift;)

Chicklebee said...

Hmmmmm..... note to self: Christmas / b-day idea for Jess.....

Now Dear Julie..... WHERE ARE THE B-DAY PHOTOS!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?