Friday, August 21, 2009

The New Dress


It's the Leaning Tower of Julie!  Magoo took this shot for me while he was watching Curious George this morning, so it has a bit of an artsy angle to it.

Here's the back.
This is my summer dress, take 2.  The blue dress was too formal, so I changed it.  I'm a halter-top-loving girl, so I pulled out one of my favorite halters and used it to make a pattern that would fit on top of the Simplicity pattern I had.  Then I mocked one up with scrap fabric and put in a couple extra pleats and so forth.

Here's a sketch of what I had and what I wanted.

And here are the finished products.

I still like the blue dress, but it's more of a party dress.  I wanted something I could wear all day long.  If you like the new fabric, it's Amy Butler's Henna Paisley Okra.  I got it on sale (clap,clap) from Trendy Fabrics.  And the green was just some fabric I had in my stash.  (The bottom strip needs ironing.  oops.)

I'm very happy with the new dress.  I'm wearing it right now and keeping cool on this humid Friday morning.  So I think I'm done with summer dresses for now.

My next project is to make a new NinjaWoman banner.  There.  Now that I said it, I'll do it.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Love the fabric, love the dress! Aren't you cleaver:)

Chicklebee said...

You've inspired me. I just set up the table for my sewing machine. Next week when Thing 1 is in school, Thing 2 and I are going to the sewing store to start a project. Thinking I'd like to make a cool bag like the one Jessica had when we were visiting.... or some of those belts I get at the farmer's market....

Julie_c said...

Ooh - sounds good. I want to make some belts, too.

Heather said...

Gorgeous! I used that very same fabric in the quilt I made for godson #1!

Can you help me figure out how to make a reversible fabric headband with elastic like the one I lost?

Julie_c said...

AH - you lost it. That's a shame. I'm sure we can figure out another one. :)

Zarebski said...

Nice dress!! Blue one also looking great!! Fabric of both dresses are fabulous!!

Kristin Joy said...

You look so pretty. Your dress is super gorgeous and simply stunning. I just love the design..