Thursday, October 8, 2009

GF SF Banana Muffins with Carob Chips

I think I finally figured it out. I finally worked out a good recipe for gluten/sugar free banana muffins with carob chips.

Ever since we got the OK to put bananas back in Magoo's diet, I have tried to find a good banana muffin recipe. The ones I've done before have been OK. Sometimes they weren't all that sweet. Sometimes they were too dense. But I combined a couple different recipes this morning and the results were TASTY!

GLUTEN & SUGAR FREE BANANA MUFFINS w/ CAROB CHIPS

Preheat oven to 350.

In one bowl mix:
1 1/2 c. gluten free flour mix
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp. xantham gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. allspice

whisk it until well blended.

In a large bowl, combine:
1/2 c. raw honey
1/4 c. melted vegan margarine
1 egg
splash of oil (I used grapeseed oil)

mix with electric mixer until well blended.

In another bowl mash 3 ripe banana with your hands. (Wash you hands first :)

Add bananas and carob chips. I didn't measure how many chips I used - I just poured them in. No more than a cup though.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups and bake 17-20 minutes - or until the tops are golden and starting to crack. ENJOY!

Look - it makes your child so strong that after school he will run up on a hill and do push-ups!


And one-armed push-ups!

5 comments:

Buzz de Cafe said...

yum

Chicklebee said...

Mmmmm!!! Gonna try that one! BTW - what is xantham gum? Oh and what do you know about cane sugar?

I made some killer pumpkin carob chip muffins yesterday. The boys LOVE them - I was SHOCKED!!!! I fortified them with ground flax seed and used flax seed oil instead of canola. We need all the extra Omega-3's we can get our hands / brains on ;-)

What do you know.... Thing 1 just BEGGED me to give him a pumpkin muffin for dessert!?!?!?!?

Julie_c said...

I make some mighty good pumpkin muffins myself. I guess they are all the rage! (But I haven't put carob chips in them yet. Hmmmm?)

Xantham Gum is a binding agent. Gluten has binding aspects so when you start gluten free baking you have to add something to hold the muffin/bread/cookie together or it will either spread too thin, or crumble and fall apart. If you're not using gluten free flour - you don't need the xantham gum.

Chicklebee said...

Hey! That muffin has a face.... see the smiling mouth and carob chip eyes... COOL

Julie_c said...

Yes - it's a happy muffin! (It doesn't know what's in store for it...Mwa ha ha!)