Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wink-A-Palooza!


I present the new line of Wink! The Ninja Who Wanted To Be Noticed greeting cards! At the last minute I decided to put origami borders around them and I think they look pretty good.
I made six packs for the show. I might make more. But I still have to make a bunch of flower cards - those always sell. So we'll see. It's difficult to predict what to make each year.

I also ordered some bookmarks.


I'm heading to Chicago to visit a friend and do an author visit on Friday and I wanted to take some bookmarks. Usually I just make a batch myself but I found a good deal from Overnightprints.com and ordered about 1000 of these babies - so now I can hand them out all over the place! (I need to take some down to the local bookstore.)

And I've begun the process of making Wink Wear...

I have a love/hate relationship with iron-on T-shirts. I love how they look. I hate making them. For one thing, the iron-ons ain't cheap. Then you have to cut them out and peel the backing off - which is almost the worst part. And then sometimes, they don't take. I bought some new ones and am not having much luck with them, but I got lucky and found a 5-pack of some old Avery transfers and those have worked out great so far.

This mass-production aspect of marketing is low on the fun-scale for me. But I like having a bunch of smaller, lower priced items at the art show so even if someone isn't looking to drop a hundred bucks, they can still walk away with something.

How much do you think I should charge for the T's? Between buying the T shirt, buying the iron-on's, and the cost of ink, each shirt costs about $11 bucks to make. Is $20 a pop alright? (Not for the onsies, those will probably be $10.00.)


2 comments:

Natalie said...

I'd say $20 sounds right. Towards the end of the event, you could always reduced it to $17 or $18 if you wanted to sell them all that day. They're adorable, btw!

Another thought--can you sell any of your books there? If so, you could always offer a bit of a deal for those who buy a t-shirt along with the book. If you aren't allowed to sell the books, I'd definitely have a few copies of your book out with the Wink stuff next to it--what a great package they'd make!

Julie_c said...

I'm selling the books. I had to buy them myself first as opposed to representing a bookseller. But I'll have 20 of them so we'll see how it goes. I like the idea of a deal - I'll probably wait until Sunday though. :)