Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Space at Open Studio

I got there bright and early at 8:30 am to set up for a 11:00 opening. Here are some shots of my space.

This is the Wink area. Wink art, Wink T-shirts, Wink cards, Wink books. If only I had a plush toy! Ahhhhh.

Lots of people took interest in the book and I think I sold about twelve copies!!! I sold a few shirts. I was expecting the size 6's to go, but I sold the onsies and one adult woman's shirt. Go figure. Cards sold OK. I never mind if I have extras of those because family members always want them and they make good teacher gifts. And I sold Grandmother off the wall. Of the four collages up there, I would have NEVER guess Grandmother would be the first to go!

This is the watercolor wall, a.k.a the wall of fish and one bookstore cat. First thing I sold on Saturday? The huge koi painting! Oh yeah, Mama! That put me in a great mood. The others remain and I will be SHOCKED if the cat doesn't sell. Every single year I paint one bookstore cat and I sell it every single year. Could this be the year people are just sick to death of bookstore cats? Hmmmmm....

This is a wall of collage. I sold all the ones based on kidlit: Wynken, Blynken and Nod - SOLD. Red Riding Hood - SOLD. Three Pigs - SOLD. Puss in Boots - SOLD. Guess what I'm making more of next year?

This is the wall of "all talk but no buy." Every single one of these collages has gotten compliments but no one has loved them enough to take them home. I'm gonna do some serious deal-making today and get, at least, one of these sold.

The rack holds some original art and some prints. In years past, the prints practically fly out of the rack into people's hands. I've sold a ton of them. But last year no one was interested and this year seems to be the same. It's funny how things go. But I had so many prints left over from last year that I didn't bust my hump on them this year - good thing.

All in all I had a fantastic selling day yesterday. Even if today's a dud, I've already done better than last year. So if you're local and you came out yesterday - thank you so much. It's always fun to chat with people I don't see often and chat with those I see all the time.

There was one highly disappointing aspect to yesterday. I didn't score a single pastry. No muffins. No cookies. What gives artists?!?!? Usually someone somewhere has goodies for us! :) But if this year is like years past, today is pie day. Lyman Orchards brings an assortment of pies so people can order them for Thanksgiving. Oh I HOPE it's pie day!!! Please, please,please. ;)

5 comments:

äiti said...

There's something life affirming for me about not knowing what to expect...or expecting something but then getting a curve ball.

I loved reading about your open studio adventure :-)

Enjoy the pie and that sux about no pastries!!

Let me know if the birds collage doesn't sell...

Chicklebee said...

Plush figures are for WOOSES!!!!! You want ACTION FIGURES, man!
You've got alot of stuff this year! And a nice bright space....
Sending you pie vibes for today....

Julie_c said...

I want plush AND action figures!!!

Natalie said...

I SO wish I'd been there! Like Cyn says, get thyself to Etsy, please. :-)

Chicklebee said...

So... did you get your pies on Sunday?