Monday, December 14, 2009

Honey Shack

Magoo can't eat regular gingerbread because of the molasses and sugars. I have tried to find a recipe that I can alter, but haven't had much luck so far. So instead of making a gingerbread house this year, I rolled out my GF, sugar-free graham cracker dough and we made a graham cracker cottage.

Of course, the other thing that's tough is not being able to use frosting as glue or colorful candies. So I thought I'd try doing some design in the dough. I just pressed the tip of a spoon in for a shingled roof and pressed in a little door design. Next year I'll probably let Magoo help me with this part.

But he did help put carob chips on the roof and he sprinkled coconut snow on top.


I used honey to hold it together and I poured a little agave syrup on the roof. It turned out looking a little less like a cottage and more like a run-down honey shack.


But it was goooooooood eatin'!


3 comments:

Ă„iti said...

Cool...and sounds delish. I keep hearing that people don't eat their gingerbread houses, and I'm like, really? Isn't the whole point, to eat it eventually? (It would be the point for me :-) We didn't get to it this year...yet.

Shelley said...

I found natural food coloring (from beets and turmeric, etc) at Whole Foods. Maybe you could make a colorful glaze with agave next time?

There is something really nice about it without color though.

Julie_c said...

I figured the most important part was the activity of Magoo making and decorating a Christmas house. He didn't care if there were colorful candies or not. He certainly didn't care when he was eating it up!!!

Shelley - I've seen some natural food colorings but a pack of four was, like, $17.00! That's a little rich for my blood. Thanks, though.

Aitil - I think people don't eat the houses sometimes because they leave them out so long to be admired that everything gets stale. At least that's what I'm guessing. We ALWAYS eat ours.