Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Background Issues

As you can see, I'm back in the swing of things.

My first illustration back on Wink! The Ninja Who Wanted To Nap, (I don't know if I've spilled the official title yet, but that's it,) is a tricky one. Do you remember those Family Circus cartoons when Mom would ask Billy to get an egg from the neighbor and he's zig-zag all around the neighborhood? It's kinda like that. Here's a sketch:


Wink is trying to outrun/ditch a group of relentless fans so he can finally go home and rest, but wherever he goes, people recognize him, and he just picks up more and more fans.

The easy part is making all the little people. The tricky part is the background. This is a busy, high energy illustration. I need a background that fits, but doesn't distract - that's not always easy to do.

At first I thought I'd do a gray road and green grass, but the greens I had didn't look right. ( I even painted one special.) Then I liked the white I was working with so I thought I'd go Eric Carle and just leave the background white - but as it started to develop I wasn't loving that as much. Then I found a blue piece of paper that I liked for the top and wondered if I could simply anchor the bottom with a strip of green grass - but I didn't love that. So then I found a muted green in my collection and tried that.

I took a variety of pics and sent them in to the art director. It's nice to get another set of eyes on a problem like this.

I'm waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, here's how a little couple of folk developed.


Any Arrested Development fans out there? Remember when Gob and Steve Holt met at the park with the statue of the little boy holding a hand? This kinda remind me of that. Steve Holt!

But see - I gave the little girl legs and hair and an adult to supervise. She's better off than Steve.
I wonder who she sees? Hmmmm.

No comments: